Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2014, 10:25 AM

Sex Matters (A Serious Discussion)

When I was young nobody talked about sex in a serious way. At Grammar school we studied the reproductive system of the rabbit and that was it. Even slightly risque books like "Lady Chatterley's Lover" were banned.Nowadays it seems that almost anything is up for public discussion. My question is "Is there a point at which a line should be drawn?" For example, would you be prepared to discuss in public what you get up to with your husband/ wife/ partner or on your own in your bedroom? Should we have an "Anything Goes" society or not ?
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2014, 10:42 AM

Re: Sex Matters (A Serious Discussion)

No, Alan I would not be prepared to talk about personal sexual matters.
The line was drawn and over stepped years ago, I think it is a shame and very difficult for young people to cope. They have celebrity behaviour thrown at them - not good behaviour either!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2014, 10:43 AM

We have an 'anything goes' society now and it will remain so.
Not for me and I shun anything related to it.
Respect and dignity are a thing of the past and I find that very sad.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2014, 10:50 AM

I think it all depends on who you are holding a discussion with. I find it very easy to talk to my long standing mate - born just a few days off mine and is an Aquarian - who thinks a lot like I do. We will chat about sexual matters and he will mention his relationship with his wife at times. We laugh and joke about his and my own sex life. As long as the green eyed monster isn't involved - jealousy doesn't rear it's ugly head anywhere - more or less anything goes. I tend to be very open about sexual matters but I do realise that this isn't the case with all so I use my discretion as to who to open up to.

Terms used in psychology include ...

repression
suppression

These are well known to cause people a great deal of anguish and to be able to talk about desires and so on can help people immensely. So, no I'm not in favour of holding stuff in for the sake of it - all you end up doing is imploding.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2014, 11:02 AM

Well I am not sure of your age Alan, but I am going 76 and our sex lessons at school were honest and free from any smut.
The teacher answered all questions asked as frankly as possible.
We were taught that sex was sacred between you and your chosen partner, and loyalty was emphasised.
I think my sexual knowledge was an asset when courting my wife.
Would I talk about it to others? yes I would if it was a serious question that would improve his/her relationship with their partners, nothing wrong with frankness between adults.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2014, 11:21 AM

I might have missed the point here? Discuss in public? Do you mean discuss sexual matters on such a place as this - a forum? Well sure - why not? You don't have to mention wives and husbands or names, come to that, but you can still hold a 'public' discussion for sure. After all sex is something we all get up to - well most of us anyway. Better to be knowledgeable than fumble around in the dark innit?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2014, 11:34 AM

Matters between a couple should remain just there between the couple, I don't want to hear anyone else's private stuff and they don't need to hear mine IMO

Sex education should be frank though and is completely different to speaking about personal experience etc.

Dignity as has been said is being lost and that is quite sad.

I would be mortified if my husband spoke to his friends about us and he would be equally mortified if I spoke about us too.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2014, 11:36 AM

would you be prepared to discuss in public what you get up to with your husband/ wife/ partner or on your own in your bedroom?
On a personal level no, and I don't think most people would be interested in hearing it and I am not interested in how they behave in the privacy of their own home.

I think if we are talking about discussing sexual matters generally or someone has a problem that is a different matter and that is up for discussion.

I was 'a listener' for many years. Our founder's first job as a curate was to stand in for a vicar at the burial of a 14 year old girl who had killed herself when her periods starting believing she had VD.

I think it is important that some sexual matters are talked about openly and honestly without people being made to feel they are talking about something 'dirty'
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2014, 11:39 AM

Whatever it is that distinguishes us from all the other creatures, who do it when and where they please, is what makes us human, call it morals if you like I don't know what it is. I would never discuss my own or my wifes personal sex with anyone else, maybe the general husband/wife comical bed situation in light hearted banter but thats as far as it would go, some things you have to draw the line at.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2014, 12:28 PM

Slightly off topic perhaps but there is an ad on TV at the moment by the NSPCC supposedly encouraging parents to teach their children about their private parts and this is meant to reduce the risk of abuse. It consists solely of young children uttering different names for their bits. I just don't get it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top