Join for free
Page 11 of 12 « First < 9 10 11 12 >
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2019, 02:57 PM

Re: Fishing Industry Berates Westminster

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Boris' negotiations now entering a tunnel. A deal should be reached by 16 october (date of EU summit). So 5 days to sign a document. Tell me again about may signing in haste, so boris must be in collusion with the EU by your standards?
The jury is still out on that Solly, it depends on what the outcome
is?
It seems fortuitous to me that suddenly an insoluble problem
for 3yrs is miraculously solved whilst strolling around a park
with your hands in your pockets chatting to each other??
Call me sceptical, but it does smell fishy, if you will forgive the pun??
And just as real pressure is building up to resolve things??
We could have reached this point 2yrs ago!!
However we shall see what transpires, but l wont hold my breath?
Regards Donkeyman!
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2019, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
The jury is still out on that Solly, it depends on what the outcome
is?
It seems fortuitous to me that suddenly an insoluble problem
for 3yrs is miraculously solved whilst strolling around a park
with your hands in your pockets chatting to each other??
Call me sceptical, but it does smell fishy, if you will forgive the pun??
And just as real pressure is building up to resolve things??
We could have reached this point 2yrs ago!!
However we shall see what transpires, but l wont hold my breath?
Regards Donkeyman!
There is a deal since november 2018. The backstop in that agreement has proven unsurmountable for the UK. They have proposed alternatives that deviate from the position of november 2018.
Now they are nogotiating how to get back to the 2018 position with an alternative arrangement for the backstop.
As you say, if that were easy, or even possible, they would have done so during the original negotiations.
In any case, it is boris who does the offering and ireland/EU the accepting.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2019, 03:12 PM

If they could only learn to think before they speak, those fishermen! Same goes obviously for some posters here.
Btw, it is exactly what swimfeeders has been explaining for over year.

The UK’s fishing fleets could face a de facto blockade within 48 hours of a no-deal*Brexit, MPs have been told.
Representatives of the fishing industry said it was “a bit of an understatement” to describe the UK’s preparations for no deal as “a shambles”.

Not only is the country not ready, but there are not enough vets to stamp paperwork for every boatload of fish, which would be mandatory in a no-deal scenario, MPs heard.
https://www.theguardian.com/business...io-deal-brexit
a few items borrowed perhaps from Dutch fishing vessels? I understand your country is considering to restart PULSE TRAWLING, that disgusting, disgraceful method of electrical pulses being used that makes the muscles of all of the fish within its distance, contract, and force them up into nets usually hung from a crane. NICE!

It was started experimentally by the Netherlands, but is currently banned by the EU. I understand the Netherlands wants to restart it! Your country also invented it! NICE.
Is this what you call commercial fishing?

britishseafishing.co.uk/pulse-trawling/

Note: I am cursed when it comes to copying a link. exactly as it is but hardly ever successful when posting. apologies.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2019, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
a few items borrowed perhaps from Dutch fishing vessels? I understand your country is considering to restart PULSE TRAWLING, that disgusting, disgraceful method of electrical pulses being used that makes the muscles of all of the fish within its distance, contract, and force them up into nets usually hung from a crane. NICE!

It was started experimentally by the Netherlands, but is currently banned by the EU. I understand the Netherlands wants to restart it! Your country also invented it! NICE.
Is this what you call commercial fishing?

https:/www.britishseafishing.co.uk/pulse-trawling/
As the dutch argue, it was then by scientific standards the best way to fish and spare the sea bottom ecology.
If you're not only interested in fictive opinions, but also in facts https://www.wur.nl/nl/Publicatie-det...y-353530333332
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2019, 03:24 PM

As the dutch argue, it was then by scientific standards the best way to fish and spare the sea bottom ecology.
And of course, the EU took that scientific information into account before banning it completely?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

11-10-2019, 03:30 PM

And of course, the EU took that scientific information into account before banning it completely?
It was not available in 2018. One of the decisions in 2018 was to do further research. The results were published in may 2019.
https://www.wur.nl/nl/Publicatie-det...y-353530333332
Hence the move by the dutch to have the ban lifted.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

11-10-2019, 03:53 PM

I hope to God it is never allowed to happen.

I understand how it works, how it sends short bursts of electrical pulses which reach all the fish on the sea bed, paralysing them so they float helplessly up into your nets.

It is a barbaric method. An insult to call it fishing, it is more like something dreamt up in a Laboratory.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

11-10-2019, 03:59 PM

I hope to God it is never allowed to happen.

I understand how it works, how it sends short bursts of electrical pulses which reach all the fish on the sea bed, paralysing them so they float helplessly up into your nets.

It is a barbaric method. An insult to call it fishing, it is more like something dreamt up in a Laboratory.
Pulse fishing is a method for catching flatfish such as sole. That fish, digging into the seabed, is startled with shocks that are emitted from electrodes on the fishing net. The fish jumps up cramped, bends into a U shape and can then be easily caught.
In addition, the pulse net floats above the seabed, in contrast to the beam trawl that is traditionally used in flatfish fishing: that is where chains flutter the seabed and scrape away the fish that are hiding away. This is harmful to starfish, crabs and shellfish.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

11-10-2019, 04:01 PM

Solach, fancy words in a published paper giving the lie that this is not a barbaric method, will not convince me. More relevant is the admission that the trawlers can be smaller, hence having to use less fuel.

That last sentence makes more sense for the reasoning to bring it back!
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2019, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I am assuming,maybe hopefully, that regaining control of our
borders covers the whole gamut of our fishing interests?
I say this because there is little emphasis on this subject up to
now in an official capacity? All we hear is the phrase BACK STOP!
So as l said in my opening, l assume ' everybody' knows that fishing
is included in the regaining control of borders context?
I would hate it if it accidentally got pidgeonholed somewhere out
of the way!!

Regards Donkeyman!
Hi DM!

I must admit that the act of actually escaping the EU, to me, is the biggest boost.

Once out we can turn all the other screws.

(I hope!)

Page 11 of 12 « First < 9 10 11 12 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top