Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2013, 07:08 PM

Cruising Holidays

I have booked a cruise holiday which won't be until end September next year, when I have a big birthday, and will be 33 days duration.

In the process was offered a wine package 12 bottles of wine for £210, we would only drink half a bottle a day, which was supposed to be a saving of about £30 i think she said.
Anyone been on a cruise just lately and know what a bottle of wine costs these days? assume cheaper end of range.
OH nearly had a fit when i told him, I did book it, but can change my mind before the final balance is due.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2013, 08:42 PM

Re: Cruising Holidays

It all depends on how much wine you normally drink each day! If it's not as much as the package you would then feel duty bound to drink every bottle. At a cost.

Mum and I, on our cruises, would just stick to tea and coffee. She wouldn't even get a cold drink from the bar. But then we didn't drink alcohol or spend days or evenings in the bars.

Whatever your cruise company is, I would suggest Googling their website, or go on to Cruise Critic forum, and see if any menus are available to view. That would give you an idea of wine prices and then weigh up/calculate what would be the best option for you.

Where are you off to?
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2013, 09:41 AM

I eventually worked it out at £17.50 per bottle, I seem to remember a figure of something like £16 a bottle from before a couple of years ago.

Have thought that as we are not on a fly cruise, and will be sailing out of Southampton and back to Dover, we could take some wines with us, if we wanted, although couldn't drink it at table.

We don't normally bother to drink alcohol at home, only on social occasions, and are quite happy with a lime and lemonade. So i'll probably cancel the package.

The particular cruise I spoke about is called the Crimean discovery, calling through places like the mediterranean and the black sea.
We are also doing an earlier cruise with a different company in February, from South America through Pacific islands to Sydney, Australia
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2013, 05:19 PM

Sounds good. Going 'wow!' At your next one. Envious.
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK

29-07-2013, 06:33 PM

Yes, we should have done that one (or similar) this year, however about 2 weeks before hand we were informed that the ship wouldn't be sailing until over 3 weeks later, and the itinerary had changed and wouldn't include the leg we wanted to do.
We were refunded in full, but couldn't re-book with them as that was going to be their last one, hence re-booked for next year with another company.
The only thing was my hubby really wanted to visit Easter Island, which we would have done this year, next years cruise is only 'sailing by'
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2013, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by valice ->
In the process was offered a wine package 12 bottles of wine for £210.

We don't normally bother to drink alcohol at home, only on social occasions, and are quite happy with a lime and lemonade. So i'll probably cancel the package.
Hi Val is that a wine of your choice , if not the 'offer' sounds like a way to offload unpopular wines.
If you are not a regular wine drinker I would think it wise to order a decent bottle of wine of your choice as and when you feel you would like one rather than to but a lot of something you may not like.

Enjoy your holiday
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK

29-07-2013, 08:02 PM

Meg, I have been on their cruises before, and the wine is fine have had it before, but usually buy it when the mood takes. Have a choice of white, red or pink anyway or a mixture.
Trixie
Kent
Trixie is female  Trixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2013, 09:34 AM

Many cruise lines (the ghastly Princess line included) put all bags through the scanner when you return to the ship after going ashore. This is nothing to do with ship's security, it's to check that you haven't smuggled in any bottles of booze to drink in your cabin rather than pay their extortionate prices (£25 for a table wine that tasted like it had drained from a car's sump!). That's another reason I like Saga, they don't worry how much duty-free you have in your cabin, and last time out their very palatable house wine was about £12.
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK

10-09-2013, 10:18 AM

I've never tried to take booze on board, so didn't know it wasn't allowable.
Can't say I've ever seen anything which says you can't.
I do remember one port of call in Caribbean, where you ordered it offshore and it was delivered to the ship, my sister in law and mother did this, but it wasn't delivered to the cabin until the following day.
Trixie
Kent
Trixie is female  Trixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2013, 11:04 AM

Counting down - this time next week I'll be on the high seas, courtesy of the Quest for Adventure! I'm due for a good holiday after the awful year I've had!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top