Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2014, 05:44 PM

Travel Insurance

We are going on holiday next September and we've been looking at Travel insurance because it is loaded for those like us who have existing Medical Conditions.

We have a quote from the Travel Agency but it seemed excessive before we even entered our medical stuff so I've gone online to the SAME insurance company and found a huge discrepancy.

We've been quoted LESS for our one-trip insurance than the BASIC was from the agents, yet it's the same Insurer.

My wife's going to confront them with this but after she checks it out with AXA but has anyone else come up against this kind of thing?

You type in honestly what you're medical conditions are and the b'stards load you accordingly yet at my bank this morning the "advisor" suggested I don't tell the insurers about Medical Conditions!

What a Ccccc-complete and utter Ccccc-twit!

Thoughts please. Much appreciated. stevmk2
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2014, 03:56 AM

Re: Travel Insurance

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
We are going on holiday next September and we've been looking at Travel insurance because it is loaded for those like us who have existing Medical Conditions.

We have a quote from the Travel Agency but it seemed excessive before we even entered our medical stuff so I've gone online to the SAME insurance company and found a huge discrepancy.

We've been quoted LESS for our one-trip insurance than the BASIC was from the agents, yet it's the same Insurer.

My wife's going to confront them with this but after she checks it out with AXA but has anyone else come up against this kind of thing?

You type in honestly what you're medical conditions are and the b'stards load you accordingly yet at my bank this morning the "advisor" suggested I don't tell the insurers about Medical Conditions!

What a Ccccc-complete and utter Ccccc-twit!

Thoughts please. Much appreciated. stevmk2
Hi Steve, I'm sure you remember my story of exactly 2 years ago, when Mum collapsed on our cruise. I had a very anxious wait to find out if her cause was known/declared, but fortunately we were covered. So you are right to call the bank adviser that! Had that person ever been in my shoes they would change their tune, pronto.

I always find TA insurance premiums to be on the high side and do shop around.

Quite often I've phoned and given pre existing and the odd ones they wouldn't cover: think more the neuropathy.

It never ceases to amaze me, watching docus on A&E abroad, the amount of people travelling with no insurance whatsoever! They think it'll never happen to them? Hah...
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2014, 04:12 AM

I buy travel insurance and, because I had several major back operations, come under the existing conditions clauses. This year I decided to tell them about it, in the end because nothing has happened for two years it didn't affect the premium at all. This was with NRMA Insurance.

It is definitely worth shopping around AND reading the fine print. The next hurdle is when I get to 70 because that seems to have more effect on the premium than pre-existing conditions.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2014, 09:25 AM

Never ever buy insurance from a travel agent! The premiums are loaded for profit and the policies often restricted.
There are a number of adverts for independent insurers in the travel section of weekend papers. They are usually much better value. Maybe some comparative shopping is a good idea?
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2014, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Never ever buy insurance from a travel agent! The premiums are loaded for profit and the policies often restricted.
There are a number of adverts for independent insurers in the travel section of weekend papers. They are usually much better value. Maybe some comparative shopping is a good idea?
We never bothered to check until recently because it seemed reasonable with Thomsons but now we're being loaded I did do a check and was shocked to find that when we declared my Asthma, my need to take Statins and now my wife's new hip, the price shot at the broker I use.

I know I've got to declare my Asthma and we know that we have to declare the hip replacement now but thousands take Statins these days and my problem is I produce too much cholesterol yet my heart is fine;I've had a full 'MOT' just in case.

Technically, now I no longer smoke, my lungs are in far better nick than they've been for years and I've not had need to use my Ventolin for 2 months or more but I have to declare the Seretide "preventer" I use daily for the asthma.

However, I'm tempted to get a reappraisal of my asthma and a lung function test now because I still don't actually believe that my chest problems were totally down to asthma as my Dad also had a severe chest problem for years, as did his father.

In both cases it was never diagnosed although my Dad was prescribed medication for asthma.

His father was not.

My Dad got no better in the 3 years after he gave up smoking either and that's what killed him in the end yet my grandfather died of natural causes, or so I believe.

I will look into this again now, especially as the premiums we were quoted at the brokers were really far higher than I thought they'd be. stevmk2
chris
hebrides.uk
chris is female  chris has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2014, 08:12 PM

I have always been very honest with Travel co's. Having notified the travel co that I had an undiagnosed condition they withdrew my insurance cover AFTER I had paid for the holiday. Nasty card to play. Got insurance from another co & I don't mind paying the extra. I had told this travel co that also own the insurance company that I was willing to pay extra to no avail. Strange that a company that organises hols for the elderly will not allow them to pay extra premiums for conditions that arise after the booking is made.The last time I will travel with this company for sure. My three friends travelling with me have diagnosed conditions so they are all covered. The company are refunding me my insurance payment. This was only offered after I voiced my opinion about the issue.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

16-09-2014, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by chris ->
I have always been very honest with Travel co's. Having notified the travel co that I had an undiagnosed condition they withdrew my insurance cover AFTER I had paid for the holiday. Nasty card to play. Got insurance from another co & I don't mind paying the extra. I had told this travel co that also own the insurance company that I was willing to pay extra to no avail. Strange that a company that organises hols for the elderly will not allow them to pay extra premiums for conditions that arise after the booking is made.The last time I will travel with this company for sure. My three friends travelling with me have diagnosed conditions so they are all covered. The company are refunding me my insurance payment. This was only offered after I voiced my opinion about the issue.
Know what you mean chris and know who you mean.

We had some really good holidays with them in the past but they're not the same now are they? stevmk2
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2014, 06:39 PM

Steve, try Staysure.co.uk We have used them quite a few times and they insure the over 70s and don't sting you up for that or for existing medical problems. You can Google them and read all about them.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2014, 07:01 PM

Steve, I'm fortunate I can buy a basic insurance. My eldest would not be able to do that because of his chronic lung disease and epilepsy - although he looks and keeps really well. Me? I could not afford expensive insurance. I'd have to holiday at home if it came to it. I can't go away without an inhalor. Okay, it's basic, but I've never, touch wood, been hospitalised with asthma. It's all so complicated. I wish you well and hope it all works out for you. Enjoy your holiday!
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

19-09-2014, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Stella H ->
Steve, try Staysure.co.uk We have used them quite a few times and they insure the over 70s and don't sting you up for that or for existing medical problems. You can Google them and read all about them.
I tried Staysure and got a basic quote of £43 or so but when I went into the medical Declarations it shot up.

There wasn't much detail on the cover they provided either or maybe I just didn't know quite where to look.

On the AXA site it was quite detailed and for me i found that more reassuring even though it was £21 more than the Staysure quote I ended up with.

I also found a lot of quite bad reviews on Staysure but far less on AXA but I also noticed some Staysure Customers stated their Staysure Policy was "under-written by AXA"!!

The AXA failings seemed to be those mainly involving sporting accidents on holidays, which don't really concern us but the simple facts are you get what you pay for and like all insurers, they'll quibble and argue virtually anything given the chance!

For me Insurance is and always was a licence to print money but if you are going to go for Insurance, go to an insurance company every time and be realistic about your cover.

All i know at this moment is if I go via Thomson for their AXA Travel Insurance they are asking for a bigger premium than AXA themselves. stevmk2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top