Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2014, 04:45 PM

Beware Booking.com

Just in case anyone uses any of the online booking sites, a little tale.

I 'booked' a room for this Saturday night through Booking.com. No money paid, and I received a confirmation from them. As I had requested early check-in they contacted the owner and then emailed me with a further confirmation along with an attached note from the owner (in Spanish) saying 'minimum three night stay and full until 04 October'. Booking.com failed to notice this little detail and sent a further confirmation to me. I have since cancelled the 'booking' and made my own booking elsewhere.

If I didn't read things properly and have a bit of common sense I may have turned up somewhere only to find that I had no bed for the night.

Travellers beware...
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2014, 04:56 PM

Re: Beware Booking.com

Ridiculous, really....
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2014, 05:03 PM

It must have been a language break down ,i booked last year with Booking .com, and had excellent communication with the owner of the BB inIOM ,i had direct email with them after telling them i needed to be ground floor ,they reserved me a room with very little stairs.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2014, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
It must have been a language break down ,i booked last year with Booking .com, and had excellent communication with the owner of the BB inIOM ,i had direct email with them after telling them i needed to be ground floor ,they reserved me a room with very little stairs.
That's not an excuse Eliza, if you operate a web site and you claim to be able to book hotels abroad then you dam well should be able to speak the lingo, it's not as if Spanish is an unheard of language.

Shoddy performance and typical of some of these new web sites, just because the technology is there doesn't mean you have to forget all about customer service........oops forgot we are talking about a UK web site sorry.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2014, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
That's not an excuse Eliza, if you operate a web site and you claim to be able to book hotels abroad then you dam well should be able to speak the lingo, it's not as if Spanish is an unheard of language.

Shoddy performance and typical of some of these new web sites, just because the technology is there doesn't mean you have to forget all about customer service........oops forgot we are talking about a UK web site sorry.
I agree wholeheartedly. In fact I almost always book things directly with hotels etc myself. I have found that most of the supposed special prices on these websites are also available directly. On this occasion the only way it appeared to be bookable was on Booking.com via Tripadvisor. No wonder it wasn't offered elsewhere! Fortunately I could understand enough Spanish to get the picture.

I've sent them an email and wait to see if they respond.

I am also aware of a couple of incidents involving other hotel booking websites where customers have been scammed, only finding out when they arrive at their hotel and find they have no booking despite having paid up front. I generally avoid these sites.

Oh, and on the bright side I've had an email confirmation from the place I finally booked with useful information, reassuringly.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2014, 07:42 PM

I had the same type of problem with another on line booking company " Last minute.com" some years ago. We booked via them for the lake district and turned up at the hotel a few days later and the booking had not been forwarded on to the hotel. The hotel were kind enough to upgrade us as we showed them the booking we made and they honoured it.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2014, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
I booked last year with Booking .com, and had excellent communication with the owner of the BB inIOM ,i had direct email with them after telling them i needed to be ground floor ,they reserved me a room with very little stairs.
Same here used them to book motels in NSW and Victoria, their knowledge of the local lingo was impecable, no complaints at all, pretty good prices too.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

25-09-2014, 02:44 PM

Interesting development just now. In response to my carefully worded email I have just had a phone call from Booking.com to apologise and ask for a copy of my new booking receipt as they MAY refund some of the extra cost. No promises made, but I'll hold back on slagging them off for now...I'm hoping to effectively have dinner on them on Saturday night.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2014, 03:14 PM

Good luck with that, then, orangutan The meal will taste all the better for that!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2014, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
..I'm hoping to effectively have dinner on them on Saturday night.
Would at least justify the time (ie cost) you had to spend composing your e-mail, hope you get and hope you enjoy the meal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top