Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2012, 07:39 AM

Re: **Seasonal Canine Illness updated @post 9

I've not heard of any problems this year either, which just adds to the mystery....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2012, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I've not heard of any problems this year either, which just adds to the mystery....
I haven't either so maybe this is an indication it is related to conditions created by weather/insects. Perhaps it has been too cold and wet in 2012 for the conditions to prevail. There is still a month to go though.

There is a questionnaire on the link I have posted for those who live in the affected areas .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2012, 09:49 AM

I watched the item about SCI on Countryfile and was surprised to learn how many dogs have been affected.

The jury is still out as to the cause while more information is obtained but it looks like the problem may be due to dogs being bitten by a species of harvest mite.
The botanist looking for evidence was himself attacked by something in the woods which caused him to have a nasty rash mainly on his ankles.

The question is why is this happing now and the last couple of years and not before.

The outbreak made me think of the Schmallenberg virus in sheep another new condition to the UK which is also caused by an insect . It has been suggested SV may be connected to global warming.

The good thing is SCI is treatable as long as the dog is taken to a vet if symptoms appear following a walk in the woods.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2012, 10:30 AM

I watched as well Meg, but as you say they didn't have any conclusive answers to give. Not convinced about the harvest mites. Fortunately our area doesn't seem to be affected, although we do get warnings about the green algae each year. I did enjoy seeing those Golden retrievers frolicking in the woods and beautiful black cows up in the Alps. It was surprising how docile they were considering they live in what must a quite isolated situation up in the mountains.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2012, 10:50 AM

I saw the programme too. Try hard not to miss it. Does it seem to you, that everything they can't find a cause for is blamed on global warming?
I thought a sharp frost or a little snow, killed things off.
I noticed Sherwood Forest was mentioned, I hope Barry is aware.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top