Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2011, 09:37 PM

Pain Relief For Arthritis

I have a lady friend who has just been informed by the doctor that she has Arthritis in the upper thigh he has put her on pain killers but they do no good at all and the poor lady is in a lot of pain especially on standing . She is fine when sat down or lieing down but as soon as she stands it is agony. Do any of you have Arthritis and if so what do you take for the pain, any tips would be most welcome thanks.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2011, 10:08 PM

Re: Pain Relief For Arthritis

I take Ibruprofin for arthritis. It is one of the non-steroidal anti-inflamatory drugs (NSAID's) so it can cause gastric problems (so take care to not take it on an empty stomach). I also think it affects the efficiency of blood pressure drugs (if taking them as well). As an over the counter drug Ibruprofin works quite well for me, but Voltarol (Diclofenac) is more effective.
Wonda
Sussex, England
Wonda is female  Wonda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2011, 11:15 PM

Has your friend considered alternative therapies, for my health issues they have worked well, but its each to their own
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2011, 11:41 PM

I use a pillow case fill it with rice zap it
have a ultra sound also
have it in my knees and arms
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2011, 12:00 AM

It depends what sort of arthritis it is. Is it rheumatoid, or osteo? My dad suffered very badly with osteo-arthritis which is the sort that cripples the joints and mis-shapes hands, knees, feet, ankles, etc.

My dad was also given Ibuprofin which was nowhere near powerful enough for the pain.

On the outskirts of my home-town of Wigan, there is Wrightington Hospital which is the leading hospital in the WORLD for bone disease. My dad was offered gold injections, but he was not a good patient and, although never actually diagnosed, my belief is that he was suffering from dementia, so was not in his own mind, so to speak.

There are no alternative therapies for bone disease, unfortunately.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2011, 12:05 AM

yeh my ant used to work at wrightington hosptal
used to live 10 min from there
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2011, 09:15 AM

David matey, Mollie is right - it depends very much on which type of Arthritis your friend has. I have Osteo-arthritis and have had both hips and both knees surgically replaced with metal implants so I have a little experience of pain.

For pain relief have had a number of things - Paracetamol, Amatriptylene, Tramadol, Fentanyl patches, DF118 tablets (combination of dihydrocodeine & Paracetamol) and Oramorph (liquid morphine).

Your friend needs to make friends with her G.P and try some of these medications to find out which one works best for her. Ultimately, if she has Osteo-arthritis, her best option may be joint replacement, but that hinges on her age and her state of health too.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2011, 03:42 PM

Had a nasty experience with Tramadol,after bowel surgery, woke up in the night and saw men with guns under the beds the ward was filled with smoke and the rest of the patients were dead. I was having hallucinations, I disconnected my Morphine and drips, I was going home.I was eventually convinced it wasnt happening.What an experience, I was taken off Tramadol.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2011, 04:21 PM

Yers Annie darlin' me too, made me dizzy and nauseous after just three tablets - so handed them back to my Doctor. Ditto Amatriptylene too - am now allergic to both of those. Can't have Ibruprofen because that interferes with my Warfarin.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2011, 05:18 PM

I take a low dose of Amatriptylene every night, that's the only way I can get to sleep...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top