Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 10:50 AM

Identical holiday - only we pay more

According to my paper this morning British holidaymakers are paying hundreds of pounds more for holidays than families across the whole of Europe when they book exactly the same holiday on-line.

A Mail on Sunday investigation has found prices listed on British websites can be vastly higher than those on equivalent sites in Germany, France and other countries.

Last night, experts and consumer groups hit out at what they call "rank profiteering" from holiday companies. Marc Grander, of the Consumer Action Group, said: "British people will be very surprised to find this is happening - it's just an opportunity for these companies to make extra profit by treating them as cash cows".

Our investigation found camping holiday website Eurocamp charges British tourists £2,495 for a two-week holiday next August in a three-bedroom mobile home in the resort of Berny-Riviere in Picardy. A Germany tourist would pay just £1,472 for exactly the same break - a £1,023 difference.
The company, which has more than 160 resorts, also lists on it's website a seven-night holiday in August next year in a two-bedroom mobile home at the Norcenni Girasole Club in Tuscany for £1,210. However, the same holiday is being sold on it's German site for £979.
Meanwhile, French company Club Med charges two British adults and two children £2,936 for seven nights in December in the Alpin resort of L'Alpe d'Huez La Sarenne. A French family pay just £2,586 - a saving of £350.

Transport too can be cheaper. On it's UK website, Direct Ferries is offering return tickets from Dover to Calais with P&O between August 19 and 26 for £180, while it's Direct Ferries.fr site has the same tickets for £147.

Last month the EC announced it was investigating Disneyland Paris for charging visitors from the UK and Germany more to visit the park than those from France. A week for a family of four from the end of August is on the UK website for £5,753 but the same week is priced at £4,946 on the French site - a saving of over £800 !!
Eurocamp said: "Our prices are in line with the demand we see in each of our source markets"

Well, as far as I see it, Eurocamp may just as well have come out and said "If the British are mugs enough to pay a third more, roll on ". Just what is it that makes us the cash cow to every country that supplies us?? Why does our government allow this to happen. It's surely not because we are one of the highest wage earners in Europe, we are in fact the poor cousins compared to other countries when it comes to Wages. Doesn't it make you sick the way the British are treated when it comes to us paying for things such as clothes and holiday when other countries pay so much less for exactly the same? And the excuses such as the one above makes my blood boil.
What are your views on this scandel ??

Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 11:23 AM

Re: Identical holiday - only we pay more

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
According to my paper this morning British holidaymakers are paying hundreds of pounds more for holidays than families across the whole of Europe when they book exactly the same holiday on-line.

A Mail on Sunday investigation has found prices listed on British websites can be vastly higher than those on equivalent sites in Germany, France and other countries.

Last night, experts and consumer groups hit out at what they call "rank profiteering" from holiday companies. Marc Grander, of the Consumer Action Group, said: "British people will be very surprised to find this is happening - it's just an opportunity for these companies to make extra profit by treating them as cash cows".

Our investigation found camping holiday website Eurocamp charges British tourists £2,495 for a two-week holiday next August in a three-bedroom mobile home in the resort of Berny-Riviere in Picardy. A Germany tourist would pay just £1,472 for exactly the same break - a £1,023 difference.
The company, which has more than 160 resorts, also lists on it's website a seven-night holiday in August next year in a two-bedroom mobile home at the Norcenni Girasole Club in Tuscany for £1,210. However, the same holiday is being sold on it's German site for £979.
Meanwhile, French company Club Med charges two British adults and two children £2,936 for seen nights in December in the Alpin resort of L'Alpe d'Huez La Sarenne. A french family pay just £2,586 - a saving o £350.

Transport too can be cheaper. On it's UK website, Direct Ferries is offering return tickets from Dover to Calais with P&O between August 19 and 26 for £180, while t's Direct Ferries.fr site has the same tickets for £147.

Last month the EC announced it was investigating Disneyland Paris for charging visitors from the UK and Germany more to visit the park than those from France. A week for a family of four from the end of August is on the UK website for £5,753 but the same week is priced at £4,946 on the French site - a saving of over £800 !!
Eurocamp said: "Our prices are in line with the demand we see in each of our source markets"

Well, as far as I see it, Eurocamp may just as well have come out and said "If the British are mugs enough to pay a third more, roll on ". Just what is it that makes us the cash cow to every country that supplies us?? Why does our government allow this to happen. It's surely not because we are one of the highest wage earners in Europe, we are in fact the poor cousins compared to other countries when it comes to Wages. Doesn't it make you sick the way the British are treated when it comes to us paying for things such as clothes and holiday when other countries pay so much less for exactly the same? And the excuses such as the one above makes my blood boil.
What are your views on this travestry ??

I haven't been abroad for years, and don't intend going again. But if this is right what you say, it's bloody disgusting!
I say we pull out of the EU Now! Were losing out in every direction.. We pay more money out for things, and they send in the immigrants that take it off us as well.. Were's the sense in that? This country needs to get back on track quickly!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 12:49 PM

I'm not surprised at all - we also pay more for Amazon prime than other Euro countries .........
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 01:42 PM

I'm sure it's very easy to find these examples but I expect that some of it can be explained by fluctuations in exchange rates and the extra travel cost of crossing from the UK to Europe.

I always book my holidays myself and search around for the best prices. So far, this has worked out cheaper than even the so called 'low cost' holidays.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 06:48 PM

That's why britain is known as treasure island

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top