Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 08:50 AM

Re: Do you REALLY get value from your Mobile Phone??

I'm not particularly tied to the phone but I do have one.

I bought a Google Pixel 2 phone secondhand. I can tend to forget about taking it with me when going out and Mrs mart often has to remind me keep it handy.

The family like WhatsApp and we have group set up on that. I tend not to use the phone itself to receive and send the photos and messages. I have got the WhatsApp App installed on the computer so that I can use the big screen and keyboard to do it.

W.10 includes a phone App that mirrors the phone and I read text messages on the computer as well.

Edit: No contract but On O2 Payg. Probably not the best deal around but affordable for me.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 09:08 AM

I think I get good value from my mobile phone although its uses are limited because it is not a smart phone.

It only costs me £6 a month for unlimited texts and telephone calls calls so much cheaper than using the landline particularly if you have to queue on the phone for hours .
I text my sister in Derbyshire every day .
I also have an emergency button on the back of my phone to alert my son if I am in trouble so he can call me and get help.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I'm not particularly tied to the phone but I do have one.

I bought a Google Pixel 2 phone secondhand. I can tend to forget about taking it with me when going out and Mrs mart often has to remind me keep it handy.

The family like WhatsApp and we have group set up on that. I tend not to use the phone itself to receive and send the photos and messages. I have got the WhatsApp App installed on the computer so that I can use the big screen and keyboard to do it.

W.10 includes a phone App that mirrors the phone and I read text messages on the computer as well.
Hi mart,

Do you think there's a way to use this App on my W10 pc?

https://www.dr-iq.com/

It's required to contact my Dr's surgery.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I think I get good value from my mobile phone although its uses are limited because it is not a smart phone.

It only costs me £6 a month for unlimited texts and telephone calls calls so much cheaper than using the landline particularly if you have to queue on the phone for hours .
I text my sister in Derbyshire every day .
I also have an emergency button on the back of my phone to alert my son if I am in trouble so he can call me and get help.
£6/month is cheap, but Ms d00d spends less than that on payg. She talks to family in Portugal once or twice/week, but they call her: International calls are free after 9 pm.

We use Skype for family in Glos and Aus.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Hi mart,

Do you think there's a way to use this App on my W10 pc?

https://www.dr-iq.com/

It's required to contact my Dr's surgery.
There is no Windows version but you could run that and other Android Apps by installing an Android emulator such as Bluestacks on the computer.

https://www.bluestacks.com/
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

20-10-2020, 10:05 AM

There is no Windows version but you could run that and other Android Apps by installing and Android emulator such as Bluestacks on the computer.

https://www.bluestacks.com/
Thanks, I'll give it a go.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

20-10-2020, 10:20 AM

Thanks, I'll give it a go.
I just installed the Dr. iQ App into my installation of BlueStacks and it does install and open.

Just ought to say that BlueStacks can be slow to load but it does the job.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

20-10-2020, 10:37 AM

I just installed the Dr. iQ App into my installation of BlueStacks and it does install and open.

Just ought to say that BlueStacks can be slow to load but it does the job.
Yes, I see it's for gaming, and I was wondering about something less weighty (?) Hmmm
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 10:38 AM

Bought a basic Nokia a couple of months ago, supposedly for emergency use.
It is a rather nice metallic blue - big mistake - Nemo (aka Techno Cat) made off with it as soon as it had charged. Haven't seen it since. He cannot resist anything blue - paper, ribbon, toys etc.,
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

20-10-2020, 10:54 AM

Yes, I see it's for gaming, and I was wondering about something less weighty (?) Hmmm
If you search for 'Android emulators', there are others to be found but I haven't tried them.

Although BlueStacks majors on games, it is possible to install other Android apps on it. The place where your own installed apps are is even called 'My Games' even though the apps aren't games.

For instance, I have the Gmail, MapMyWalk apps installed and temporarily, Dr.iQ ..but yes, that games interface can be a bit off-putting when you want to use it only for other things.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top