Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Chris99
Glasgow
Chris99 is female  Chris99 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 05:46 PM

Hearing aids.

I love my NHS hearing aids. I have a friend at the age of 81 who has lost his. 1st one then the other. The NHS are charging £40 to replace them. I have not been told that if I loose them I have to pay a fee. My friend lives in Scotland as I do. Does anyone know if this is correct? I know myself that the aids are so easy to fall out. Luckily I have recovered them. Thanks if you know the answer.
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 06:21 PM

Re: Hearing aids.

Our audiology charged me £75 when I lost my hearing aid. (Cwm Taff HA.)
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 06:48 PM

They do state: they are not yours but on loan.
Beki
Edinburgh, Scotland
Beki is female  Beki has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 08:47 PM

Sorry I don't know the answer at the moment but have been told by someone who recently was in contact with the service (thought she had lost her hearing aid & then found it) that they were posting a replacement to her & that they have had a very large number of requests for replacements). I will check if she had to pay for it when I see her, possibly tomorrow. Link to web site but can't easily see an answer https://www.hearingdirect.com/blog/n...aids-cost.html
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Beki ->
Sorry I don't know the answer at the moment but have been told by someone who recently was in contact with the service (thought she had lost her hearing aid & then found it) that they were posting a replacement to her & that they have had a very large number of requests for replacements). I will check if she had to pay for it when I see her, possibly tomorrow. Link to web site but can't easily see an answer https://www.hearingdirect.com/blog/n...aids-cost.html
I suppose it depends on which health authority you you come under Beki.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 09:41 PM

Chris, this is all I could find, if it's any help.

Q. What happens if I lost my NHS hearing aid?

What happens if I lose my hearing aids? Take good care of your hearing aids as the NHS is allowed to charge you if you lose or damage them. ... This means they are yours for as long as you need them, but they still belong to the NHS. If you lose your hearing aid, you may be charged £70–£150.

I suppose they can't keep on handing out free replacements to thousands of patients.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2020, 09:53 AM

I never knew that you had to pay for a replacement. I shall tie some string around mine and let it hang around my neck.
But seriously, how can you loose it, when it is stuck in ones ear hole.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2020, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
I never knew that you had to pay for a replacement. I shall tie some string around mine and let it hang around my neck.
Very easy.

Every time I pull off my face mask the string pulls off one or the other.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2020, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
Try wearing your hearing aids, glasses and face mask at the same time, guaranteed to pull your hearing aids out every time!

When I had my hearing aids I was advised to add them to my home insurance in case of loss and it wasn't until now I realise how important that was.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2020, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Try wearing your hearing aids, glasses and face mask at the same time, guaranteed to pull your hearing aids out every time!

When I had my hearing aids I was advised to add them to my home insurance in case of loss and it wasn't until now I realise how important that was.
I know what you mean. But I only have one, and if it came out I would know, as I would not hear anything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top