Join for free
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 11:06 PM

An afternoon in Filey.

I visited my brother oop norf last year, and we were invited to spend a day in Filey with his sister-in-law and her husband.

I haven't been to the town since I lived in Yorkshire myself many decades ago, so it was a pleasant day of re-discovery.

A suspicious local giving me the eye.

Up-Roar at Filey Station.

Passengers ...

waiting for a train.

Filey station footbridge. I think either someone made a mastike with the measurements ...

or it was recycled having been used somewhere else first that was a bit wider than this station. Why else would the stairs be outside the station?

A view of the seafront as we promenaded along the promenade.

I was surprised to see that even oop norf, here be Grockles.

Blimey, that must have been a hell of a high tide to strand them boats oop thar!

Reversing the direction of oor promenade.

Further round the coast from the town.

One of the locals busy buzzing around.

Searching for the sweet-spot.

There it is!

One of the local fishermen enjoying a pipe-dream.

Up a hill and back along from the seafront.

Silent symphony.

View across the bay.

Wishing Well you were here.

Barrow-in Earnest; a Council gardener hard at work.

On the way back to York ...

... we crossed the famous Route 66. Apparently there is a less famous one in the USA.

I hope The Old Grey Fox approves.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 11:22 PM

Re: An afternoon in Filey.

Great photos again Fruitcake...
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2020, 05:24 AM

thoroughly enjoyed these fruity, I especially like the stranded boats, brilliant!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2020, 07:27 AM

Oh Fruitcake - that brought back such happy memories - scrambling on the Brigg, walking along the beach at midnight in full Evening Dress, sitting in that bandstand with fish'n'chips wrapped in newspaper and swimming in vinegar! Happy days!

As ever your photos and descriptions are simply brilliant. Thank you!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2020, 12:00 PM

Super photo's Fruitcake & I love the commentary too.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2020, 12:24 PM

Brilliant as usual Fruitcake.....
Filey Tucked away between the more well known seaside resorts of Bridlington and Scarborough. This quieter little hamlet is filled with well maintained gardens, majestic hotels, cafe's, and interesting little shops, but the icing on the cake for me are the beautiful beaches that stretch to infinity when the tide recedes.

I've spent many a day perusing it's shops and walking it's beaches. I've also consumed more than my weight in ice cream there over the years. Never been to the station though, thanks for bringing back some happy memories Fruitcake, and it will certainly be close to the top of the list of places to visit once this covid stuff has sorted itself out. You forget how good a place is until you see some very interesting photos...
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2020, 12:46 PM

Great pics.

I seem to remember a swimming pool, at Butlin's, with a very high diving board, which 2 famous diving kids (with names I ought to remember) dived for a show.

Probably all gone now!

Sadly, when I was a kid, the trips coaches all went past Filey heading North to the other two resorts.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2020, 01:10 PM

Our first ever holiday as a married couple was to Primrose Valley, about a mile or so down the beach from Filey. It was in 1976 and with our three year old daughter. We stayed in a caravan on the clifftops that belonged to a neighbour. We got it at 'Mates Rates' ... It rained a lot if I recall....

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top