Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2020, 10:10 PM

Teddy boys and girls

I remember them well walking down our high street, weapon of choice was the bicycle chain. Remember keeping well away if I saw them. Don't know what the girls liked about them apart from the drape jackets and drainpipe trousers
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2020, 10:59 PM

Re: Teddy boys and girls

My eldest sister was going out with a Ted when I was about 7/8. I remember him well and my parents Horror of him. He was a cocky git who loved to shock, and he walked a bit like the guys in the film Grease, he sure loved himself, with his big quiff and DA, blue jacket to just above his knees and trousers so blooming tight I'm surprised he could sit down.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2020, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
My eldest sister was going out with a Ted when I was about 7/8. I remember him well and my parents Horror of him. He was a cocky git who loved to shock, and he walked a bit like the guys in the film Grease, he sure loved himself, with his big quiff and DA, blue jacket to just above his knees and trousers so blooming tight I'm surprised he could sit down.
That is them down to a T, walked as if they owned the town. Never alone but in groups of 4 or 5. Never gave way to anyone walking the other way, I even think the police were scared of them to an extent
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2020, 10:59 PM

I was about 15 when l saw a Teddy Boy. I thought they wore funny clothes and had horrible hairstyles.
I didn’t associate anything bad with them.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2020, 11:39 PM

My Dad was a teddy boy, with the quiff, the suede shoes and a blazer with his initials on the pocket. Apparently that was the thing to have back then. Yes they got into fights but like most gangs in those days, it rarely involved general members of the public. He tells me they used to carry cut-throat razors as weapons but would apply tape to the blade so that any cutting wouldn't be too deep. Quite gentlemanly if you compare it to today's stabbings.

Here's a pic of his blazer.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	teddyboy.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	11438  
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 12:15 AM

I liked them for the clothes and hairstyle.

Underneath the mode of dress they were no different to anybody else.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
My Dad was a teddy boy, with the quiff, the suede shoes and a blazer with his initials on the pocket. Apparently that was the thing to have back then. Yes they got into fights but like most gangs in those days, it rarely involved general members of the public. He tells me they used to carry cut-throat razors as weapons but would apply tape to the blade so that any cutting wouldn't be too deep. Quite gentlemanly if you compare it to today's stabbings.

Here's a pic of his blazer.

Longy, l never saw a Teddy Boy in a blazer...just in a drape jacket and string tie.
Maybe, your dad was an earlier one?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Longy, l never saw a Teddy Boy in a blazer...just in a drape jacket and string tie.
Maybe, your dad was an earlier one?
I'm guessing that would have been around '58 -.59. He had drapes as well I believe.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 12:37 PM

when I was 15 my friend had a boyfriend who was a Teddy Boy, his nickname was 'Baggy' don't know why really but I tell you, he was a lovely young chap, he wouldn't hurt anyone. I thought the Teddy Boy dress was great back 'i day
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I'm guessing that would have been around '58 -.59. He had drapes as well I believe.
58-59, isn't that a bit old to be a Teddy Boy LD.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top