Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2014, 02:49 PM

Re: 5p bag

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
But what if we forget to take the bag - do we just juggle our food on the way home
I don't know if all places do this, but our supermarkets have empty cardboard boxes that they have had stuff delivered in available near the tills for those who don't have bags. At least that is recyclable/burnable.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2014, 02:51 PM

I have the large Morrisons shopping bags. They hold lots of stuff if I remember to take them. There is a plastic bag reclycler station in Morrisons.

The WRVS shop in the hospital has also started charging for their bags - paper ones at 5p a go. Any chance for them to rip more money out of us. Their prices are atrocious, so they'll make plenty more profit out of patients and visitors.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2014, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Fair enough, but why can we not all take our own bags? Plastic litter is a real problem.
I wasn't arguing don't take a bag as I do use my own just thought banning them completely would be a problem. Litter generally is a problem needs tackling IMO.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2014, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Fair enough, but why can we not all take our own bags? Plastic litter is a real problem.
When I was growing up everyone seemed to carry a string bag in their pockets which concertinaed into a tiny strip taking up no room at all . I don't think we had plastic bags then
BoyRacer
Scotland,UK
BoyRacer is male  BoyRacer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2014, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
But what if we forget to take the bag - do we just juggle our food on the way home
I have loads of bags for life, but don't always remember them. You could try leaving it all there and see how that goes down with the staff who have to put it all back.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2014, 02:58 PM

Meg - that brings back memories - string bags
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2014, 03:01 PM

Mmm, and small things fell through the holes.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2014, 03:03 PM

Having lived and worked on the continent, I got used to taking our own bags with us so the 5p. doesn't worry me too much. However, we did find them useful in the motorhome to act as rubbish bags. Now I buy pedal bin liners for that.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2014, 03:03 PM

Many years ago, before the age of supermarkets, people always took their own shopping bag/s when shopping. Shops used paper bags or sheets of paper to wrap around loose products. Free plastic bags have made us lazy and are a litter problem, it doesn't cost a lot to buy a purposeful bag and take it with you every time you need to shop.

Far better for the environment too
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2014, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Many years ago, before the age of supermarkets, people always took their own shopping bag/s when shopping. Shops used paper bags or sheets of paper to wrap around loose products. Free plastic bags have made us lazy and are a litter problem, it doesn't cost a lot to buy a purposeful bag and take it with you every time you need to shop.

Far better for the environment too
True Mags
Many of us did not have access to cars or even busses years ago and shopping often had to be carried for miles so you need a good sturdy bag with strong handles to carry it not flimsy plastic things.

A lot of shopping arrived in the countryside in delivery vans, the baker, butcher, greengrocer which made things easier.
I remember Mr Bates the baker who came twice a week and carried a few sweets on his van and we had a penny to spend with him . He used to get very cross because we took so long to choose .

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top