Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2014, 06:10 PM

Re: 5p bag

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Many years ago, before the age of supermarkets, people always took their own shopping bag/s when shopping. Shops used paper bags or sheets of paper to wrap around loose products. Free plastic bags have made us lazy and are a litter problem, it doesn't cost a lot to buy a purposeful bag and take it with you every time you need to shop.

Far better for the environment too
They are not free Mags, do you think the supermarkets dont factor in the cost of providing them already, extra cost is just another stealth tax in my opinion.
comeandgo
The universe
comeandgo is female 

02-11-2014, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
But what if we forget to take the bag - do we just juggle our food on the way home
Well if you are silly enough to forget to take a bag when you go shopping you will have to do just that!
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2014, 07:02 PM

Been too long in coming! The amount of bags hanging from trees and cluttering the roadside is a disgrace - if we're doing any amount of shopping in the car, an Ikea bag is perfect and for every day bits I always take my own bag.

I know people who are actually stockpiling carrier bags in order to delay for themselves the day when they have to pay for them!! I hope all their bags split on the way home!
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2014, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by comeandgo ->
Well if you are silly enough to forget to take a bag when you go shopping you will have to do just that!
Sometimes we have other things going on in life making us "silly enough" to forget a bag.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2014, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Been too long in coming! The amount of bags hanging from trees and cluttering the roadside is a disgrace - if we're doing any amount of shopping in the car, an Ikea bag is perfect and for every day bits I always take my own bag.

I know people who are actually stockpiling carrier bags in order to delay for themselves the day when they have to pay for them!! I hope all their bags split on the way home!
lol that did make me laugh - hoping their bags split . Gawd, i'd never be that miserable i'd be stockpiling carrier bags. That's for someone needing a life!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2014, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
They are not free Mags, do you think the supermarkets dont factor in the cost of providing them already, extra cost is just another stealth tax in my opinion.
So, Nom, if that's the case we should expect a small reduction in supermarket prices once they implement the bag charge
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2014, 08:45 PM

We've had the 5p bag charge for years now in Wales. People do remember to take their bags when they shop - or you can usually find a cardboard box to pop a few items in if you forget. The shops do not profit from the 5p charge, they donate it to a charity (and usually display somewhere in the shop how much they have donated over the year). I'm just miffed that I now have to buy bags to line bins...................
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2014, 09:05 PM

When I lived in South Africa carrier bags were recycled in all sorts of interesting ways, rain hats, cut into strips to crochet rugs & knit things, amazing how resourceful people with little money can be!
In one town near here they're putting a bin in the car park of a music venue to collect old video tapes to re-cycle into furniture etc for the venue.
I put my rubbish in old carriers instead of black bags, use the little ones from the chemists etc. as dog poo bags and if I forget to take a shopping bag I put my groceries in the boot & then into my shopping trolley when I get home, I have to park some distance away from home.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2014, 09:15 PM

Our village Co-op give dividend points for using your own bags.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2014, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
So, Nom, if that's the case we should expect a small reduction in supermarket prices once they implement the bag charge
Mags i love an optimist, glass of what your having please

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top