Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2014, 07:09 PM

Re: For the ladies OR the gentlemen.

Female please
When I was heavily pregnant and unable to see over my lump I was struggling to get up off my back after an examination by a male doctor . I put my hand out hoping to meet his hand to help me sit up up but accidentally encounter something else instead. I don't know which of us was the most embarrassed
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2014, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Female please
When I was heavily pregnant and unable to see over my lump I was struggling to get up off my back after an examination by a male doctor . I put my hand out hoping to meet his hand to help me sit up up but accidentally encounter something else instead. I don't know which of us was the most embarrassed
Was he smiling?
Something similar happened me in the lady dentists chair when I was in my twenties, she was pulling a back tooth with all her might and I was slipping out of the chair, I instinctively grabbed out for support and grabbed her breast, she ignored it until the tooth was out, a true professional.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2014, 10:44 PM

Not sure which is best, all I can say is our male GP has a beard which distracts me somewhat! He also took his shoe off once to demonstrate something to me about my foot, he had a large hole in his sock which was very endearing! Bless him, can't trust myself with him now, needs mothering...or something!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2014, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Was he smiling?
Something similar happened me in the lady dentists chair when I was in my twenties, she was pulling a back tooth with all her might and I was slipping out of the chair, I instinctively grabbed out for support and grabbed her breast, she ignored it until the tooth was out, a true professional.

I don't know if he was smiling Jem,I didn't dare look him in the eye ...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2014, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Female please

Don't worry, we believe you Meg.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2014, 10:47 AM

I don't have any preference. All I want is a doctor who is professional, knows his/her stuff and can empathise.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2014, 12:57 PM

No preference, professionalism and as the previous post says a degree of empathy.
Doctors have seen it all, whether male or female.
My son trained to be a doctor having first studied pharmacy but he had wanted to be a doctor since he was about 10. I remember how nervous he was when he had to do his first examinations but he soon got used to it.

He did find the first few births where he was present a bit traumatic, he soon found out that women can lose control of their bodily functions as they are giving birth (the reason an enema used to be given in the old days)
He had to rush out of the room as he though he was going to be sick the first time it happened. He said the midwife on that occasion was fantastic, clearing the mess away really quickly before the baby's head was born.
He is not so squeamish now, I think you find a way to bury your natural reactions and be professional at all times and after a few years in medicine will have seen and dealt with gruesome situations.
He is spending Christmas and New Year working in A&E and will be on duty both Xmas day and New Year's eve until midnight. In a short staffed A & E that will be tough going.
Professionalism is what counts I think.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top