Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2014, 01:50 PM

Re: Spelling particularly in newspapers

You'd all have a field day in the International supermarket at the bottom of our market. The produce description is hilarious.

Sleriak, for one.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2014, 01:58 PM

I think that grammar and punctuation should be taught at school, it is important and standards of English are slipping, but with the media being such a massive part of live I suppose we notice it more.
Children could write essays and have the grammar and punctuation checked so that they improve. For a long time essay writing was no longer part of the curriculum in English but it develops language skills and encourages children to think also. I am not sure whether it has been reintroduced.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2014, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
It bugs me too, as it just seems to reflect generalised lowering of standards. And I also hate seeing things like 'tonite' instead of 'tonight', something which seems increasingly common.
I agree...
And text speak is the 'norm' with many and particularly irksome on forums!!
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2014, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
I think that grammar and punctuation should be taught at school, it is important and standards of English are slipping, but with the media being such a massive part of live I suppose we notice it more.
Children could write essays and have the grammar and punctuation checked so that they improve. For a long time essay writing was no longer part of the curriculum in English but it develops language skills and encourages children to think also. I am not sure whether it has been reintroduced.
A good post. I have no idea what is taught in schools these days but I do remember doing a lot of grammar and writing a lot of essays. Spelling was important and marks were deducted for poor spelling/punctuation. I'm amazed to hear that essay writing was removed from the curriculum!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top