Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2014, 04:37 PM

Bye Bye Piggies..

This morning we sent the piggies off to the abattoir and by now they should be in the pigsty in the sky. These ones were a real problem. Last year we had no problem getting them into the trailer, but these lot weren't having any of it.
Eventually they were coaxed in with some apples, although they should not be fed on the day of slaughter.

Rest of the morning was spent mucking out and washing their pen. Dianne thought it would be good to take some straw and pig s**t home for our compost heap. Hope it is worth the effort (and smell).

The economics aren't too bad. In total raising each pig is around £200. This gives about 75-80kg. carcass weight and about 45-50 kg in prime cuts. (There's also the trotters, offal, cuts used for mince & sausages and fat rendered for lard. This can't be compared to commercial supermarket pork as it is "outdoor" rare breed pork. The taste is fantastic.
comeandgo
The universe
comeandgo is female 

05-11-2014, 04:46 PM

Re: Bye Bye Piggies..

Yum! Yum!
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2014, 04:58 PM

Poor little pigs, condemned and not even allowed a last meal.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2014, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
This morning we sent the piggies off to the abattoir and by now they should be in the pigsty in the sky. These ones were a real problem. Last year we had no problem getting them into the trailer, but these lot weren't having any of it.
Eventually they were coaxed in with some apples, although they should not be fed on the day of slaughter.

Rest of the morning was spent mucking out and washing their pen. Dianne thought it would be good to take some straw and pig s**t home for our compost heap. Hope it is worth the effort (and smell).

The economics aren't too bad. In total raising each pig is around £200. This gives about 75-80kg. carcass weight and about 45-50 kg in prime cuts. (There's also the trotters, offal, cuts used for mince & sausages and fat rendered for lard. This can't be compared to commercial supermarket pork as it is "outdoor" rare breed pork. The taste is fantastic.
Oh no!! I couldn't do that - I'd never be any good on a small holding, I'd be overrun with animals and skint through feeding 'em all!
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2014, 05:48 PM

I wondered initially how I would feel about raising livestock (albeit small scale), but I've had no difficulties. I absolutely deplore some of the ways in which animals are raised commercially, so our animals are kept to as high a standard as is practical. I also found that I had no problem with gutting and butchering wild meat - mainly venison. I learned from the internet - a roe deer in one hand and the laptop in the other!!
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2014, 06:03 PM

Ugh!! I'll stick with the laptop and forget the deer!! I have eaten free range pork, lovely, but I've always said if I had to kill the animal myself - I'd be a vegetarian.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2014, 06:13 PM

Why no food on the day of slaughter?
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire

05-11-2014, 07:31 PM

Because if their stomach is bloated, there is a greater chance of it being punctured when the pig is eviscerated. This would contaminate the meat.
Their last meal is about 20 hours before slaughter.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2014, 08:42 PM

How time flies George, I remember you doing the same this time last year, glad everything went off well in the end.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire

05-11-2014, 09:04 PM

Not too badly Jem. Our friends who we share the venture with, said that after all the trouble getting the pigs into the trailer, they wouldn't get out.
They had to climb into the trailer and give them a nudge out! They probably got suspicious when we started feeding them apples - Pork & apple sauce combined - yummy.

Hopefully we'll get them back on Monday - then it will be a day of packing and freezing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top