Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2014, 10:33 AM

Do you remember?

Your driving test?

I was a nervous wreck on mine - I never slept all the night before and I had to go through with it twice!
I passed on my second attempt after about 80 lessons.

How was yours?
BoyRacer
Scotland,UK
BoyRacer is male  BoyRacer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2014, 10:41 AM

Re: Do you remember?

I remember it clearly as I wasn't very confident.

It was a hot day sunny day at the end of April (80F) and air con available. Sweat was pouring off me. I passed though and at my first attempt after about a dozen lessons.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2014, 10:50 AM

I hated learning to drive My driving instructor told me to wear a mini skirt on the day of my test but I wore trousers

I was rubbish at reversing round corners but did it perfectly on my test and broke down crying !! the examiner was very understanding and told me to take a few minutes to get myself together

It was pouring down .... and on the way back to the test centre I had to stop at a zebra crossing so I thought I'd be clever and do hand signals ... forgot the window was up ... punched the glass ... stalled the car ... disaster !!!!

Got back to test centre very dejected .... examiner told me I had passed ... I asked him if he was sure .... apparently I'd done the correct procedure during my "incident" so no points lost !

Passed first time ... I wouldn't have gone through it again if I'd failed.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2014, 11:30 AM

Yes. Vividly! I passed on my second attempt. The first test I had was with the notorious examiner who everyone was afraid of. I made a mess of reversing round a corner, but he didn't help as he was a pain in the butt. I put in for the test again, and heard that he had since been off sick with whiplash, received when on another test! Anyway, I went to take my second test and what happened - it was his first day back and I got him again I couldn't believe it. Anyway, I did pass. I had a conversation with him afterwards and remember him saying that to be nervous on the day of your test is ridiculous. If anything you should be more confident. What a pain in the neck he was.

Oh, and it was the day of my six week check up at the post natal clinic. My blood pressure was up - I wonder why
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2014, 11:34 AM

I've taken lots of exams and tests in my time and I never get nervous. I passed my test first go but I had had about 40 lessons.
comeandgo
The universe
comeandgo is female 

07-11-2014, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Your driving test?

I was a nervous wreck on mine - I never slept all the night before and I had to go through with it twice!
I passed on my second attempt after about 80 lessons.

How was yours?
I learned to drive a car when I was twelve in 1962, although I was able to drive a small tractor from the age of five. We had a large property and plenty of driveways and tracks to take a car around. At seventeen I took my test a day or so after my 17th birthday. The tester put me through my paces, and at the end of the test, having looked at little me and the very large car I was driving, and said, "Come back in three months and I will pass you," I wasn't too pleased about that. However three months later I got my licence and have been driving ever since. I have had no accidents, parking tickets or speeding fines, the latter I regret to say is more luck than judgement!
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2014, 01:19 PM

Failed my first miserably to tense my steering was totally shocking.
My instructor Manny said don't worry you'll pass the next time.
We were late as usual Manny was driving to West Norwood from Walworth under the bridge at Erne Hill a car driver decided to turn right in a onward lane we caught his driver side rear wing but Manny carried on regardless of the fact that clearly we connected.
Anyways got to West Norwood and we were well late I walked into the office the instructor was just sitting down with his cuppa. A few grumbles were heard and he was quite within his rites to send me home but I apologised and we went out and were back in around 15/20mins before the others.
I passed, when I tried to query no 3 point turn, clutch control and a few other things he was quick to point out that clearly I had good control and that when we stopped at a set of lights it was on a hill and my clutch control was perfect as for the 3 point turn it wasn't really nessarsary.
I think bottom line I was a very lucky person that morning that my instructor never wanted to let his cuppa get cold..
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2014, 01:26 PM

I can still see myself doing the silly things on test 1 that failed me. Don't recall any of test 2, other than receiving the 'pass'. That was 43 years ago, this month.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2014, 02:35 PM

Surprizingly I passed my test first time on 29th. Feb. in my dad's Morris Minor. It was surprizing because I almost hit a lorry - no it almost hit me. There was a car parked on the opposite side of the road and as I approached it, an artic lorry came round a corner and pulled out round the car - and came straight towards me. The examiner shouted "pull over" - panic!!!

Well, I passed, but the examiner said that although the lorry driver was in the wrong "he's much bigger than you".

The test cost £1. No theory test, no hazard perception etc... Later that year, I passed my motorcycle test first time.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2014, 03:46 PM

Passed mine first time, much to the chagrin of my then wife who failed hers three times, i never rubbed it in honest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top