Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2014, 04:13 PM

Re: Do you remember?

Don't tell anyone but, I passed mine first time not that long ago, it was the day of the petrol strike, there were very few cars on the road, I passed in an automatic and only got 3 mistakes. I wonder if I could pass now!
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2014, 04:14 PM

I passed mine first time at age 19 driving a Triumph Herald. I was really nervous and I had booked a lesson for the hour before my test. I have never in my life driven worse than I did during that lesson. I was so nervous I went up on kerbs, took out someone's wing mirror, did a 33 point turn, could not reverse to save my life and nearly gave my poor instructor a heart attack. By the time I started my test I was so convinced that I had failed before I'd even started, that I was totally relaxed and went through the whole test without putting a foot (or a tyre) wrong.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2014, 04:15 PM

I remember it well, I took it in Dorchester, was 7 months pregnant and could only just see the steering wheel
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2014, 05:30 PM

At 16, I got a job with a car main dealer, part of which involved moving cars from PDI to valeting and showroom etc, the management turned a blind to the fact we were under age and unlicensed because they didn't have to pay us so much, we had great fun blasting round the compound in Granada's and 3 ltr Capris pretending to be the Sweeney, this naturally taught you a great deal about car control, and what miniscule gaps it was possible to navigate through so, when I took my first test, I was very confident, all was going very well till I came across a parked car on my side of the road and a bus approaching from the opposite direction, I knew from experience that I had about 6 inches clearance either side if I did not give way and ploughed through regardless, my assessment was right, but I heard the examiner take one of those intentional sharp intake of breaths loud enough for me to hear and that was that. I passed the second test although I broke the speed limit.
HTB
Lanc's
HTB is male  HTB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2014, 06:02 PM

I was just talking about this to one of the Oldies the other day...........always a story..........I was taking my test in an Army Land rover whilst serving in Munster many eons ago...........the MTO (motor transport officer), was enabled to take us out and pass us if we were good enough............I started the rover and the MTO said that i had from here to the camp gates to make any mistakes then I was under test conditions..............I was driving out of camp (an old German camp with massive cobbles for old type tracked vehicles)............I young solder knew I was taking my test, and continually jumped off and on the road............the MTO said next time he does that run him over........mmmmmmmm.......yes you've got it, he jumped out in front of me and i accelerated and run him down..........broke both his legs............MTO went scatty at me.............I grinned and told him that he said I could............and the cheeky sod failed me..........I wonder why...........
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2014, 06:37 PM

Took my test back in 1963 when the school sign was a flaming torch. Funny I don't see any school signs now they have all gone. No idea what half the signs are now but what the heck just ignore them. And what about these stupid roundabouts painted on the road? half of them are so much on one side it is impossible to get a large car around them let alone a lorry.

Ladies must be really upset as there are no longer choke buttons to pull out for their handbags to hang on.

Oh and bye the bye I have never had any endorsements on my licence. In fact somewhere I still have the little red driving licence book issued way back then

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top