Join for free
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 12:24 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

When On the Clock Card, some folks did so much overtime, they had a "No Publicity" Checkbox on the bottom of the card.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
When On the Clock Card, some folks did so much overtime, they had a "No Publicity" Checkbox on the bottom of the card.
That must have been my card, they used to call me "Eat the work Jem"

That was back in the days when overtime flowed like water from a tap Spitty, time and a half, then double time for Sunday, anyone who repeatedly refused overtime was viewed in a bad light by the management, no way was the work to suffer, everyone was happy to be involved and made sure the orders went out on time, oh happy days and ’tis with fondness that I look back on them.
Then you reaped your just rewards come Friday and the fat pay packet bulging with crisp new notes. loadsa money! and it’s all in your pocket!, you get that reassuring feeling when you feel the notes crinkle, no need to go stand in a queue at a wall, insert a card, wait, then get a limited amount out, and pay for the privilege of getting your own money back into your own pocket again, stupid when you think about it.

These days the wives have to work too and still folks can’t manage, and where is all the trust gone? everything today is contracts and accounts, work contract, contract to watch certain TV programs and the internet, pre marriage contract, it seems it’s a privilege now not to have a contract for something, ever see the ads “And no contract needed! Wow!, by God we were well and truly screwed by the powers that be.

Remember the days when the banks paid you for lending them your money, now you pay them for holding it for you and they call that progress, one does not see pay packets anymore, because according to the banks there were too many bank payroll robberies, now all the robbing is done from the inside and we are the ones being robbed, and when they’ve robbed it all and gambled it away on also ran investments they have the nerve to ask us to bail them out with a couple of hundred billion, and guess what? we gave it to them, you wouldn’t read it in book of fiction, too far fetched.
Indeed workers today don’t even see real money anymore and all the time there are hidden charges and transaction fees, fact is we all fell for it hook line and sinker.
I have no dealings with banks, never had, the old post office is good enough for me, at least the government hasn’t sold that off yet, public resistance seen to that, but they are still trying to flog it off and they’ll be met with more of the same.

Spitty, I was told I’ll have to get some new tactics, where does one get those? I checked with Amazon and Ebay, but no luck.

The boiler fella was quite reasonable yesterday, he spent over an hour working on it and he only charged 70 euro’s, I was expecting it to be around 180 euro’s. Phyllis knows his mother well, she knows more people in Dublin than the Lord Mayor knows.

Here’s a reminder of more contented times when workers actually whistled and hummed tunes going to work, even the lowest paid messenger boys whistled along on their push bikes, but just look at the grumpy faces on them going to work today, and who can blame them.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 11:39 PM

100% cash here Jem, sort of, events need to be "Notable".
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 03:04 PM

Mark Twain, truly deserves the title of “The Father of American Writing” such a great output of work, I have enjoyed his writings since I was lad.
Lovely to see moving film of the man himself puffing away on a cigar long before smoking became a hanging offence.

Good job I didn’t don a pair of frilly knickers, a pink nightdress, and high heels when I stepped out of the cold shower, that would have given her something to really think about, eh Solo.

From one of the best writers to some of the worst.

Here are a few opening lines of books I stumbled upon and found very amusing.

Sue Fondrie.
"Cheryl’s mind turned like the vanes of a wind-powered turbine, chopping her sparrow-like thoughts into bloody pieces that fell onto a growing pile of forgotten memories"
Ali Kawashima.
"As the dark and mysterious stranger approached, Angela bit her lip anxiously, hoping with every nerve, cell, and fiber of her being that this would be the one man who would understand – who would take her away from all this – and who would not just squeeze her boob and make a loud honking noise, as all the others had"
Chris Wieloch.
"She strutted into my office wearing a dress that clung to her like Saran Wrap to a sloppily butchered pork knuckle, bone and sinew jutting and lurching asymmetrically beneath its folds, the tightness exaggerating the granularity of the suet and causing what little palatable meat there was to sweat, its transparency the thief of imagination"
Janine Beacham.
"The fairies of Minglewood, which is near Dingly Pool, were having a grand revel with flower-cakes, and butterfly dances, looking ever so pretty, while Queen Bellaflora swept her wand o’er the waterfall’s foam, making it pop like the snot-bubbles on your baby sister’s face"
Molly Ringle.
"For the first month of Ricardo and Felicity’s affair, they greeted one another at every stolen rendezvous with a kiss — a lengthy, ravenous kiss, Ricardo lapping and sucking at Felicity’s mouth as if she were a giant cage-mounted water bottle and he were the world’s thirstiest gerbil"

There are many more but you get the gist of them.
Here is my favourite one from the lot.
Dennis Barry.
"Despite the vast differences it their ages, ethnicity, and religious upbringing, the sexual chemistry between Roberto and Heather was the most amazing he had ever experienced; and for the entirety of the Labor Day weekend they had sex like monkeys on espresso, not those monkeys in the zoo that fling their feces at you, but more like the monkeys in the wild that have those giant red butts, and access to an espresso machine"

Well there you have it scribblers, all human life is there hidden in the guise of wind powered turbines, honking boobs, butchered pork knuckles, snot bubbles, the world’s thirstiest gerbil, and a pair of randy red arsed baboons going hammer and tongs on a coffee machine in the jungle, what more could you ask for.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2020, 10:18 AM

Some great book reviews there Jem and no neeed to ask what what was going through some authors minds whilst they were penning those words.

As an avid reader I am always in charity shops with my must read book list and I note the shelves have been filled for many months now with all the 50 shades of grey sagas...which incidentally is NOT and never will be on my must read book list...but it seems that there is, shall we say, a lucrative market for human life on the edge

As a youngster I used to meet my Father on his way home from work and one of the places I passed was an iron foundry which at full tilt production resembled anyones vision of what hell must be like. Massive pounding hammers bashing red hot ingots into shape that sent millions of glowing sparks in all directions...and amidst all this were a few men outlined who in my mind were the bravest mortals on our planet.

I mention this because I see Anthony Gormley has designed 'something' to mark the 400 year anniversary of the sailing of the Mayflower from Plymouth to America in 1620...and if you were picturing something sailified..try again and think of Blocks...yes blocks and lots of them.

Now what else would you expect from he who put an aeroplane on a hill and had the cheek to call it an angel or who stuck nude copies of himself ( he sez) all over Crosby beach. I'm sure the foundry chaps are well pleased with the work and lets face it they are the real artist bending and shaping all that metal.. but I feel sure they are thinking what I am..."what have blocks got to do with the Mayflower" !!!!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-set-sail.html
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

08-01-2020, 11:35 AM

My favourite book has this discluder on the inside cover.

"Every possible care has been taken to ensure that, to the best of our knowledge, the information contained in this atlas is accurate at the date of publication. However, we cannot warrant that our work is entirely error free and whilst we would be grateful to learn of any inaccuracies, we do not accept any responsibility for loss or damage resulting from reliance on information contained within this publication."

In other words, it's not worth the paper it's printed on.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

08-01-2020, 11:46 AM

Solo, my Uncle Dave worked in a Foundry, and he used to be the dealer in the breaktime game of "Poker". Every time he dispensed a hand of cards, his pal Mike would drop a smelly fart, Dave would say to Mike, "was that you, you smelly bugger", Mike would reply "no, the one who Smelt it, dealt it".
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

08-01-2020, 10:48 PM

I love that Angel of the North sculpture Solo, there was a racehorse called Angel of the North and It won several races over the years, I always had a few bob on it so it’s also been lucky for me.
Nor do I see the connection with the sailing of the Pilgrim and Gormley’s blocks, (he may be discreetly seeking lifelong sponsorship from Lego or Oxo).
We had a local butcher called Gormley, he used to hack up chunks of dead animals on huge wooden blocks, maybe if his new creation doesn’t go down well someone might knock Gormley’s own block off, ah blocks to the whole idea I say.

Talking about weird smells Spitty, my eldest grandson has become a Vegan since he started university, he let one go when there were only the two of us here the other day, Christ the smell was woeful, all that organic rotting vegitation builds up inside one then suddenly released in one powerful blast, is this the beginning of smells of the future?, if it is I’m glad I won’t be around.

While we're on about gas I just had to stick this last one it, it sounds very Mike Hammerish to me, this is all it gives so I’m not sure if it’s supposed to be a western, a romance, or a gangster story.

Andy Russell.
“How I treasured those few and far between weekends in Mary Jane Lee’s little shack a mile outside the one horse town of Bury’em Deep, she was nothing less than a love machine, a throbbing pumping masterpiece of heavenly engineering that needed constant refuelling and right now her tank was empty, and my pump had just received a fresh delivery of gas”

Good on ya Andy, I wouldn’t want to be smoking near you and Mary Jane with all that gas around. Mickey Spillane will never be dead while we have you, wish ya luck with that one.
And Jesus wept.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2020, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Solo, my Uncle Dave worked in a Foundry, and he used to be the dealer in the breaktime game of "Poker". Every time he dispensed a hand of cards, his pal Mike would drop a smelly fart, Dave would say to Mike, "was that you, you smelly bugger", Mike would reply "no, the one who Smelt it, dealt it".
Ta for that riveting nugget of nostalgia spitty..mind you those foundry lads could have dropped as many smellies as they felt the need to and they still would have been gods in my young eyes.
solo
UK

09-01-2020, 01:26 PM

We all view art differently Jem and it is as it should be for it would not do for us to all to like the same thing...mind you if I was a glamourous model who had been chosen by Picasso to sit for him, I would have been very miffed to know that whilst I sat there he was deciding wether to paint my bum with an eye on it or stick a breast in the middle of my forehead...we won't mention where his thoughts were as to where my nose could go.

One thing is for sure when we see art work with a cloak or something draped over the shoulder we can now say thanks to Mrs Harry Windsor " Hasn't the artist caught that shrobing nicely"

In case you are not up to speed wiv these trendy things..it's a new fashion word. A mix of a shoulder...robe..shrobe..... so lets have no more of slinging yer jacket/coat over yer shoulders in future..It's Shrobing yer jacket/coat over yer shoulders. .

What would you do wiv out me

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top