Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2019, 08:19 AM

Re: Do Emotions have an Aroma

Originally Posted by summer ->
I can certainly sense atmospheres I'm not sure if it's a smell though....more a feeling.
Very often an 'atmosphere' can be down to very subtle body language too.

People often try to hide their feelings in unpleasant or embarrassing situations, but unless they are extremely good at it, very small signs are there which we register without being aware of what we are registering.

If there are several people producing these subtle signs, then collectively it may be that this can come across as an 'atmosphere'.

Thinking about it, I suppose that instinct is a mixture of those imperceptible scents, tiny weeny bits of body language, and past experience, as well as, in some circumstances, a possible sensitivity to environmental factors.

There was a thing on television last year, possibly on Curious Creatures, where a certain bee hummed in a particular pitch, causing a particular vibration wavelength that caused a flower to release its pollen. I can't remember all the details, but it was something like the bee getting a virus which changed the pitch of its hum, which meant the pollen didn't get released, and that affected the fertility of the plant.

Absolutely fascinating, all this nano-physiological stuff!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2019, 08:39 AM

I know a silent fart usually causes an embarrassing emotion??
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2019, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
I know a silent fart usually causes an embarrassing emotion??

What if it is silent, and odourless, is it a fart???
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2019, 08:46 AM

Did it really happen???
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2019, 09:02 AM

I think emotions may have an aroma, but humans have lost the ability to use it!

When I had horses at my place, the strongest one continually attacked the most gentle horse.....so much so that the owner decided to sell the gentle one. Two weeks later they heard that the gentle one had a tumour and had to be put to sleep!
How did the strong horse know that and, as leader of the pack, was he trying to kill a weak member of that pack?

Cats are different in similar circumstances and tend to ignore the weak. A few years ago I took in a very hungry stray, when I had 3 of my own cats living here. My own cats had no problem with this stray ( most unusual when you bring a strange cat into their territory) and allowed him to live here. About 15 months later he was breathing too quickly so I took him to the vet, where they discovered he had a huge tumour pressing on his lungs, so didn't bring him round from the anaesthetic. I believe that the other cats knew he was ill, but have no idea how they knew!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2019, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
What if it is silent, and odourless, is it a fart???
can be I doubt whether the world 'fart' has any connotations of smell does it?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

24-02-2019, 09:11 AM

But without sound, or odour, folks would have only a persons testimony to go on. Giving testimony to a set of non believers can be very dissatisfying, and farts, by designation, are meant to be satisfying, so, if you do a silent NOT deadly, keep it to your self, its not worth the hassle.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2019, 09:30 AM

Emotions change our serontin, adrenaline and pheromones etc. They make us sweat, shiver, cry, laugh...
I think you're right Mups, we change our scent with our emotions and animals have a better sense of smell. They can tell if we're upset, happy or cross.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2019, 09:54 AM

I.m not sure but it's interesting.

I do however know that some smells trigger emotions such as freshly made bread and fresh mowed grass makes me feel happiness, smell of burning raises a fear and a bad smell causes us to feel disgust, hmmm is disgust an emotion?

I think there may be something in the theory but as others have said, animals are far better at using their noses and seem to smell emotions
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2019, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Thank you Tabs.

I find it really interesting. Just found this too:

All of your feelings, positive or negative, create physiological changes. Your breathing, your hormone secretion, digestion, skin, heart rate, digestion, and muscle energy levels change with every emotion.

So whenever you are feeling stressed for example, you are silently giving off your very own stress scent or pheromones

So I guess if we can give off fear or stress scents, it is safe to assume we give off a different aroma when we are happy and relaxed then. Likewise in a foul temper etc.

This is probably why we feel so comfortable with some people and not others do you think, it is the imperceptible odours we are detecting?

Really interesting Mups !

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top