Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2019, 11:32 AM

Re: Do Emotions have an Aroma

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I.m not sure but it's interesting.

I do however know that some smells trigger emotions such as freshly made bread and fresh mowed grass makes me feel happiness, smell of burning raises a fear and a bad smell causes us to feel disgust, hmmm is disgust an emotion?

I think there may be something in the theory but as others have said, animals are far better at using their noses and seem to smell emotions
LQ, Yet a nurse once told me that the smell of freshly mowed grass reminded her of the smell of semen.
Every time, l mow my lawns, l think of her!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2019, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I think emotions may have an aroma, but humans have lost the ability to use it!

When I had horses at my place, the strongest one continually attacked the most gentle horse.....so much so that the owner decided to sell the gentle one. Two weeks later they heard that the gentle one had a tumour and had to be put to sleep!
How did the strong horse know that and, as leader of the pack, was he trying to kill a weak member of that pack?

Cats are different in similar circumstances and tend to ignore the weak. A few years ago I took in a very hungry stray, when I had 3 of my own cats living here. My own cats had no problem with this stray ( most unusual when you bring a strange cat into their territory) and allowed him to live here. About 15 months later he was breathing too quickly so I took him to the vet, where they discovered he had a huge tumour pressing on his lungs, so didn't bring him round from the anaesthetic. I believe that the other cats knew he was ill, but have no idea how they knew!
Twink, l think that may be true of animals. On two occasions my hens have killed a sickly hen.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2019, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
LQ, Yet a nurse once told me that the smell of freshly mowed grass reminded her of the smell of semen.
omg I'll never think of mowed grass the same way again, eeewwwwww
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2019, 12:04 PM

Probably married to Lorne Greene.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2019, 12:42 PM

There's anecdotal evidence of dogs being able to detect their owner's tumour even before the person themselves know they have one.

There was one woman whose dog kept sniffing at one of her breasts, and she couldn't understand why. Anyway, she later discovered a lump that turned out to be cancerous.

I believe they may be trying to train dogs to detect cancers.

Also, some dogs can alert their owner to an impending epileptic fit, or to an impending hypo in their diabetic owner.

I believe it is thought that the change in scent is responsible for the dogs becoming aware of these things.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2019, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
Very often an 'atmosphere' can be down to very subtle body language too.

People often try to hide their feelings in unpleasant or embarrassing situations, but unless they are extremely good at it, very small signs are there which we register without being aware of what we are registering.

If there are several people producing these subtle signs, then collectively it may be that this can come across as an 'atmosphere'.

Thinking about it, I suppose that instinct is a mixture of those imperceptible scents, tiny weeny bits of body language, and past experience, as well as, in some circumstances, a possible sensitivity to environmental factors.

There was a thing on television last year, possibly on Curious Creatures, where a certain bee hummed in a particular pitch, causing a particular vibration wavelength that caused a flower to release its pollen.
I can't remember all the details, but it was something like the bee getting a virus which changed the pitch of its hum, which meant the pollen didn't get released, and that affected the fertility of the plant.

Absolutely fascinating, all this nano-physiological stuff!

It's really interesting, isn't it Pyxell.
That's what I touched on in the first post, and scientists have been able to replicate the sound of the bees now and see how the flower responds within three minutes..
I think it was in my gardening magazine last week about it.

What I found equally fascinating, is that the moths who mostly fly at night wouldn't get much pollen in that case, and that is why some flowers nectar levels and fragrances rise more as dusk falls, all for the moths.
These plants usually have lighter coloured petals like silver or pale yellow to show up more in fading light. Evening Primrose is a good example of this.

Sorry if I am veering off topic, but sounds, feelings, scents, touch, and sight are so important to every living thing aren't they, yet many humans abuse their senses daily.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2019, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
What if it is silent, and odourless, is it a fart???

Pipe down you two!

This is a perfect example of precisely why females have far better developed senses than you men!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

24-02-2019, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I.m not sure but it's interesting.

I do however know that some smells trigger emotions such as freshly made bread and fresh mowed grass makes me feel happiness, smell of burning raises a fear and a bad smell causes us to feel disgust, hmmm is disgust an emotion?

I think there may be something in the theory but as others have said, animals are far better at using their noses and seem to smell emotions

Yes I am convinced of that Queenie.
Probably as I said earlier, their daily lives are not complicated with technology.
Our brains have superceded our senses and they have been left by the wayside.
We don't need to touch, feel, and smell to survive when all we do now is press a few buttons and a machine will do everything for us.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

24-02-2019, 02:04 PM

Twink, l think that may be true of animals. On two occasions my hens have killed a sickly hen.

Yes, I have seen the same Art. Chickens can be quite brutal like that, and if one pecks another and raises blood, the others will work on the bloodied spot too.

Some wild animals may not physically kill a weaker or ageing one, but they will leave it behind as they move on, and it loses the safety and protection of the pack, and can no longer find food for itself.

I think elephants are one of the few who looks after the aged and ailing.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

24-02-2019, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
There's anecdotal evidence of dogs being able to detect their owner's tumour even before the person themselves know they have one.

There was one woman whose dog kept sniffing at one of her breasts, and she couldn't understand why. Anyway, she later discovered a lump that turned out to be cancerous.

I believe they may be trying to train dogs to detect cancers.

Also, some dogs can alert their owner to an impending epileptic fit, or to an impending hypo in their diabetic owner.

I believe it is thought that the change in scent is responsible for the dogs becoming aware of these things.

Some dogs are trained to sniff out Prostate cancers too.
Apparently different cancers have different smells e.g. bowel cancer, uterine cancer etc.
They can also alert Diabetics as to when their sugar levels are too low.

I have enormous regard for these brilliant animals.

There's an article here about the cancer detecting dogs.

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.co...ff-out-cancer/

So it seems that we are giving off many different odours all the time, but most of us are unaware of it.
As said prreviously, we often feel more comfortable with some people than others, but we don't usually know why.

I think women are usually more in tune with these sort of feelings than men.

(She says, ducking down quick).

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top