Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2019, 02:21 PM

Re: Do Emotions have an Aroma

An other article here about the work detection dogs do in scenting illnesses.

https://www.mnn.com/family/pets/stor...dogs-can-sniff
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2019, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
An other article here about the work detection dogs do in scenting illnesses.

https://www.mnn.com/family/pets/stor...dogs-can-sniff
That is a fascinating article Mupsy, thanks for the link.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2019, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
That is a fascinating article Mupsy, thanks for the link.

I also read a while back that some dogs are trained to be taken out in a small boat onto lakes etc, and can then detect bodies under water!
I thought that was incrredible.
How on earth can they smell a body deep under water, from a boat!

And then some idiots think they are so inferior to us.

That always shows me which one is the real idiot.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2019, 12:32 PM

So interesting isn't it....I read too that sitting a purring cat on your knee can reduce blood pressure....I'm sure that's true. Interesting post Mups thankyou.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2019, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
So interesting isn't it....I read too that sitting a purring cat on your knee can reduce blood pressure....I'm sure that's true. Interesting post Mups thankyou.
Mine do that Summer, but they are also good at raising when they make demands for more dinner!
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2019, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I also read a while back that some dogs are trained to be taken out in a small boat onto lakes etc, and can then detect bodies under water!
I thought that was incrredible.
How on earth can they smell a body deep under water, from a boat!

And then some idiots think they are so inferior to us.

That always shows me which one is the real idiot.
They are probably sensitive to even a small amount of putrefaction/other changes that occur after death.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2019, 01:54 PM

Some info on dogs' sensitivities...........

I think this explains their phenomenal ability to scent things.....

"The Nose: A dog interprets the world predominantly by smell, whereas human predominantly by sight. Even though a dog’s brain can be one tenth the size of a human’s brain, the part that controls smell is 40 times larger than in humans.

A human has about 5 million scent glands whereas dogs have 125 million to 300 million (depending on breed), meaning their sense of smell is 1,000 to 10,000,000 times better than humans!

Have you ever wondered why their noses are wet? It’s because the mucus on a dog’s nose actually helps it capture scent particles."

"The Ears: Puppies are born deaf and cannot hear until they are 21 days old. By the time their sense of hearing has developed, they can already hear 4 times the distance of a human with normal hearing.

Dogs can hear higher pitched sounds and can detect a frequency range of 67-45,000 Hz, compared to a human range of 64-23,000 Hz."

Humans can see further than dogs, though, and are also better at seeing things close up than dogs are, plus humans have a wider range of colour-detecting cells in their eyes.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top