Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 12:58 PM

Happy Times (or a change of plan)

I was recently thinking of buying myself a lift chair, you know... one of those chairs that is an electric recliner but has an extra motor to raise you up in the air to the standing position. I don't really need it yet but I do need a new chair because one of my sofas is a sofa bed and too low for me to get out of easily.

Anyway after looking at a few I decided that they weren't worth the money as they cost between $1000 and $2000 were massive and apparently designed for midgets, so today I bought myself a 55 inch/139cm 'smart' TV instead.

What an adventure that was. I ended up buying a Sony Bravia X85G - the mid range model. Got it home, removed the old one and set it up. To my surprise it is Android based >>See this thread for another Android device<<. Easy enough to set up but lots of features that I won't use; like Netflix, Stan etc but the picture is good and it is big enough for my lounge without being overpowering.

Half the day was spent setting it up then moving the original TV from the lounge to my bedroom, the bedroom TV to the guest room and the TV from the guest room to the garage. Phew!

The new TV still uses my Yamaha amp for sound and feeding in the WD Live media player, a rarely used DVD player, Spotify and my NAS Server. Downside - now have a heap of polystyrene to get rid of

Anyway back in the chair department - I tried looking for a wing armchair (always liked them) and, bugger me, found a beauty at Ikea.

It even has a companion footstool for $99, one feature I like is the legs which, I hope, mean that I can either change them for longer ones if the chair is a bit low or put a piece of wood under each to raise it up a bit. Looks perfect for me.

Will try it this weekend as I am going to Canberra and go past their Ikea - if it is comfortable will buy one while I am there. The nice thing is that for less than the cost of a lift chair I will get both a bigger TV and a comfy chair! Happy with that!

Anyone else got a Standmon Wing Chair from Ikea? are they comfortable?

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-11-04 13.09.47.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	10991  
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 02:24 PM

Re: Happy Times (or a change of plan)

My late husband decided we would have chairs that recline & stand you upright. He needed one, I didn't, but we got two. They were very expensive.
His was well used, as when he could no longer manage our stairs & refused to get a stair lift, he slept in it. Previously to that he had also purchased two electric beds put together as a double, but they work independently. He only slept in his a few times, sadly.
I still have chairs & beds. Which are used as chairs & a bed, mine, the other is covered in cuddly toys.
Guess when my time comes to need them I already have them.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 02:32 PM

Where's the beer pockets?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Where's the beer pockets?
Got them in mine, but I don't drink beer.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I was recently thinking of buying myself a lift chair, you know... one of those chairs that is an electric recliner but has an extra motor to raise you up in the air to the standing position. I don't really need it yet but I do need a new chair because one of my sofas is a sofa bed and too low for me to get out of easily.

Anyway after looking at a few I decided that they weren't worth the money as they cost between $1000 and $2000 were massive and apparently designed for midgets, so today I bought myself a 55 inch/139cm 'smart' TV instead.

What an adventure that was. I ended up buying a Sony Bravia X85G - the mid range model. Got it home, removed the old one and set it up. To my surprise it is Android based >>See this thread for another Android device<<. Easy enough to set up but lots of features that I won't use; like Netflix, Stan etc but the picture is good and it is big enough for my lounge without being overpowering.

Half the day was spent setting it up then moving the original TV from the lounge to my bedroom, the bedroom TV to the guest room and the TV from the guest room to the garage. Phew!

The new TV still uses my Yamaha amp for sound and feeding in the WD Live media player, a rarely used DVD player, Spotify and my NAS Server. Downside - now have a heap of polystyrene to get rid of

Anyway back in the chair department - I tried looking for a wing armchair (always liked them) and, bugger me, found a beauty at Ikea.

It even has a companion footstool for $99, one feature I like is the legs which, I hope, mean that I can either change them for longer ones if the chair is a bit low or put a piece of wood under each to raise it up a bit. Looks perfect for me.

Will try it this weekend as I am going to Canberra and go past their Ikea - if it is comfortable will buy one while I am there. The nice thing is that for less than the cost of a lift chair I will get both a bigger TV and a comfy chair! Happy with that!

Anyone else got a Standmon Wing Chair from Ikea? are they comfortable?
You made the right decision Brucy!
Those electric tilt chairs are far too expensive, you could buy a
reasonable sec/hnd car for the one l tested?

Regards Donkeyman!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 05:03 PM

Your priorities are spot on, Bruce.
Stay young - buy the big telly. Shackleton's armchairs are for oldies.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 08:59 PM

Instead of getting a chair you get a TV,I don't get the reasoning behind that.
You should try and stay active as long as you can,a TV doesn't help much with that but at least it's better than one of those liftyouup chairs.
Nice to see a wing chair again,my parents were very keen on them.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 09:54 PM

Can I come down and watch the AFL in 4K? I'll bring my own chair.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 10:37 PM

I do believe that foot stool I bought matches your one, Bruce. I decided against the chair.

I once tested one of those riser chairs at the Ideal Home Exhibition but it was so slow I said to the sales lady ‘if my phone started ringing, and I started this chair off to get up, my phone would have rung off by the time I reached it.’

Sensible choice, IMO, going for the telly.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
Instead of getting a chair you get a TV,I don't get the reasoning behind that.
You need to read it more carefully - It was not "instead of" it was "as well as".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top