Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 12:04 PM

Re: Shepherd's pie variations?

My dad loves my cottage pie. I don't make Shepherds pie as I don't like lamb.

I fry celery, frozen mixed veg, onion and beef mince in frylight with some garlic, black pepper and mixed herbs then I add a pint of beef stock. I then add ready cooked pearl barley and lentils (I just guess the amount) and simmer for a while.

I scoop into mince mixture into a dish with a slotted spoon and set aside the gravy. I then top with mashed sweet potato and butternut squash or swede. I then add a little sprinkling of grated low fat cheese and a few breadcrumbs and brown in the oven.

Low fat low calorie version that's very tasty, well my dad and husband love it anyway.

Forgot to say, I put half quorn mince and half 5% fat mince to make it lower in fat.
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Depends on the time of year and whether or not you leave his boots on!
I see. It is similar to politicians on this side of the pond. If you take them in the Summer time, they are wormy.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Savvy ->
I see. It is similar to politicians on this side of the pond. If you take them in the Summer time, they are wormy.
Not quite, ours are wormy all year round.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 07:34 PM

Some interesting ideas here - thanks!

I wonder whether anyone uses a special professional contraption to pipe the potatoes on top in a fancy pattern (like icing on a cake). When you buy the ready meals they have piped spuds, but I've just been plopping them on with a big spoon and then spreading out and making lines with a fork to improve the appearance.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->

I wonder whether anyone uses a special professional contraption to pipe the potatoes on top in a fancy pattern (like icing on a cake). When you buy the ready meals they have piped spuds, but I've just been plopping them on with a big spoon and then spreading out and making lines with a fork to improve the appearance.
I buy disposable piping bags to use for the potato on my Cottage Pies .... very easy to use.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 08:27 PM

I would put little dollops of dryish mash over the top .... allowing the filling underneath to breath. Rustic-looking ...
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I would put little dollops of dryish mash over the top .... allowing the filling underneath to breath. Rustic-looking ...
you make it seem cool in a manly "Jamie Oliver" way! But I'd like to be more meticulously female and may go down the traditional path next time per Mag's suggestion.

I have a piping bag which is not disposable but there's a definite knack to the task which anyone who used to watch the generation game will understand when I say that when I tried it years ago it didn't quite look or work the way I'd imagined.

AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

05-12-2019, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I buy disposable piping bags to use for the potato on my Cottage Pies .... very easy to use.
I think you are having a giraffe hence the smiley! But yes I will try and maybe I will post a pic of my efforts next time
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 11:50 PM

Is the taste affected if you use a German Sheppard?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 11:52 PM

I think you are having a giraffe hence the smiley! But yes I will try and maybe I will post a pic of my efforts next time
It is difficult if the potato is very hot .... ouch!

I think you get used to using the piping bag after a while so it's not too bad. I usually use the star nozzle with mine.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top