Join for free
Page 3 of 31 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2020, 03:51 PM

Re: Statues

Explanations.....

Whiteladies Road was a muddy track with sewage running down it until the mid 19th century when the area was developed for housing, so did not actually link with the above until well after the slave trade ended. The White ladies had nothing to do with slavery – ladies were by definition white, so this would have been a tautology. They were Carmelite nuns who dressed in white. Their nunnery was on St Michael’s Hill, opposite the now redundant parish church. The surrounding land was leased to fund their house and Whiteladies Gate, the start of a turnpike, was where Clifton Down shopping centre now stands.
The origins of Blackboy Hill’s name are unknown. The region about a mile up a hill beyond the old city limits, a stopping point for farmers en route to Bristol markets, so easy targets for highwaymen on their way home.

One possibility is that, as Blackboy Inn would have been used to try such criminals, who were often executed and their remains put on display in a gibbet to deter others, they may have had tarred corpses hung there, hence black boys.

More likely, according to the Wills tobacco archives, is that a black boy was often used on pub signs where tobacco was sold in the 17th century when tobacco was very expensive. Tobacco was sold in many outlets, and an isolated pub would have sold all manner of items.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2020, 08:45 PM

Instead a number of new memorials in the capital have been pledged by Mr Khan, including ones for Stephen Lawrence, the Windrush generation, a National Slavery Museum or memorial and a National Sikh War Memorial.

If he does I'm going to see Tommy Robinson and organise a gang of angry white folks to go and pull them down....
reg
Manchester
reg is male  reg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2020, 09:23 PM

He'll be too busy digging up some stately home garden somewhere.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2020, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Instead a number of new memorials in the capital have been pledged by Mr Khan, including ones for Stephen Lawrence, the Windrush generation, a National Slavery Museum or memorial and a National Sikh War Memorial.

If he does I'm going to see Tommy Robinson and organise a gang of angry white folks to go and pull them down....
You're kidding me ... maybe you're not. Pick me up on the way and I'll come with you.
I've just read these BLM imbeciles and thugs have a list of 60 statues or plaques connected with slavery that they want taking down.
Even Francis Drake is in the firing line ... and Kitchener.
Madness. Stupid oafs.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2020, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->

Hi

I would not object to the Sikh one, they are like the Gurkhas, very fierce fighters on our behalf..

Khan is a politician, he justs wants votes.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2020, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I would not object to the Sikh one, they are like the Gurkhas, very fierce fighters on our behalf..

Khan is a politician, he justs wants votes.
He's trying to assemble a `multi-ethnic` working party to discuss which statues need to be removed. Wonder if there'll be any white conservative members in this panel?

Some arsewipe on Twitter is even wanting to pull down the Harold Wilson statue in St. George's Square in Huddersfield!
reg
Manchester
reg is male  reg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2020, 10:46 PM

I seem to recall something similar......by US/Allied forces.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...MygCegUIARC8AQ
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2020, 10:47 PM

Another one bites the dust...

https://www.lbcnews.co.uk/uk-news/st...-brought-down/
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

09-06-2020, 10:54 PM

More gobshite students trying to lay the law down...

https://www.lbcnews.co.uk/uk-news/84...2e3771281f725/

They want the statue of Cecil Rhodes removing from Oxford's Oriel College. They don't seem to mind going to a university financed and built from the proceeds of slavery nor the taking advantage of the bursaries.

The usual Labour big mouth politician was there to address the crowd, no doubt trying to garner votes.
reg
Manchester

09-06-2020, 10:55 PM

It's absolutely ridiculous.

Page 3 of 31 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top