Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2020, 06:09 PM

Self Confidence In Youngsters?

Some of my Grand & Great Grandchildren have a huge level of self confidence which shows itself, pretty much, as soon as they can stand up.

Others have very little and are shy, when in Groups , to the point where they really don't communicate with outsiders.

When we look at the future, I think we all realise that all of the best jobs will go to the self confident ones.

SC is noted at interviews.

The shy ones will struggle, i suggest, even to get started with a job.

The point of this Thread is - How can we fix this?

Can self confidence be taught? Or are they stuck with what they've got?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2020, 06:31 PM

Re: Self Confidence In Youngsters?

My 5 grandchildren are all very confident. My eldest granddaughter aged 10 frequently sings unaccompanied and on her own as the the school enters assembly. I wouldn't have dreamed of doing anything like that .
She has a sweet clear little voice.

The 3 older ones (two age 10 one aged 9 ) all perform at school in music recitals, plays and give readings without any nervousness.

The second lot of twins age 3 are going to be just as confident.
I attribute this confidence to their parents and their excellent school which is a 'Forrest School ' .
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2020, 06:50 PM

Every little kid is different aren't they?
I didn't have much self confidence when I was a kid .. and though it helps to have a good opinion of your own abilities to encourage you to try your hand at different things , sooner or later the real world tends to knock it out of you.
reg
Manchester
reg is male  reg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2020, 07:02 PM

Over self-confidence can hinder.....it can be seen as an arrogance by some.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2020, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by reg ->
Over self-confidence can hinder.....it can be seen as an arrogance by some.
Exactly. In my experience it's mostly the latter.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2020, 08:38 PM

I think it has a lot to do with over ptotective mothers Ted? The
little buggers dont get a chance to try things?
Do you find that siblings tend to be similar or is there a difference
between the first and last within the family, and between sexes?
I do find that modern kids can talk a lot and speak up in adult company much better than in my day? Or should l say in our day?
Another thing l find is that the posher the family is the more
confident the kids are?

Donkeyman! 👍🤔👍
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2020, 12:40 AM

Having lived in England and the US I have to say that Australian kids are more like American kids as far as confidence goes. Usually quite confident. I find Australian kids generally much more optimistic than British kids though.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2020, 01:12 AM

Every child is unique and you cannot always predict the future based on childhood behaviour. All you can do is provide a safe and nurturing environment and hope for the best. Life takes care of the rest and we can only control so much.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2020, 09:04 AM

Many kids now are continually told they can be anything that they want.
Unfortunately the bit about with hard work and application is missing.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2020, 11:24 AM

Many children are born with different temperaments
I have notice that with my own childen.
Some are fearless, like my daugther at 5 years climbed a Builders ladder to the top story of the house, shouting "Mummy I'm up here" I had to calmly coax her down.
Others are more sensitve ,and if a boy is sensitive it is best to introduce him to sport and not encourage him to be a Mothers Boy.
Some are sporty and others Creative which is to be encouraged.
Best to teach them not to idolise Celebretaries who are no better than anyone else and many can't act or sing either.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top