Join for free
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 10:07 AM

Woman hatches ducks from Waitrose eggs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...herts-52838747

The ducklings are called Beep, Peep and Meep.

Charli Lello, 29, from Hertfordshire, put the Clarence Court eggs in an incubator as an experiment to pass the time after being furloughed.

Ms Lello, who normally works as an assistant manager in a shop, got the idea after seeing a video on Facebook of someone hatching quail eggs from a supermarket.

"While I was in Waitrose, I saw the duck eggs and thought maybe they would work as well. I was so excited for them to hatch but I still had in the back of my mind that these are supermarket eggs.

"They have been collected, bashed around on a delivery truck, then rattled around on a trolley onto a shelf, picked up and put down by who knows how many people, so they still might not go all the way."

A month after putting them in the incubator, Ms Lello heard a tiny beeping sound and the Braddock White ducklings started to emerge from their shells.

A Waitrose spokesman said it was "notoriously difficult" to identify the sex of white-feathered ducks.

"Our farmers work hard to ensure ducks and drakes are separated correctly. As a result of this difficulty in sexing, a male white-feathered duck may very occasionally be left with a group of females, although, these instances are extremely rare.

"There may also be instances when a wild duck encounters farmed drakes, but again, this is rare," he said.

A spokeswoman for Clarence Court Farms said: "It is a feat of remarkably slim odds that a duckling has been hatched. But we acknowledge that it's not impossible."
Cute .....
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 10:54 AM

Re: Woman hatches ducks from Waitrose eggs

I was reading about that earlier, quite a thing to do.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I was reading about that earlier, quite a thing to do.
I saw that too, my immediate thought was that Waitrose is expensive so that's one way of getting 'value for money'!

Couldn't find anything where Michael McIntyre mentions eggs but no doubt that will follow!

While on the subject of Waitrose I couldn't resist posting one of his very funny videos,
in my opinion anyway:

Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 11:54 AM

That's amazing! Wonder if she checked the eggs first to see if they were fertile, before she put them in the incubator.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 11:55 AM

Cute little things, I like baby ducklings.
I did notice there were 3 on the first photo, but only two on the later pics.

I just hope the lady knows how to feed and rear them without a Mummy duck now.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 12:50 PM

This must be the third incidence of someone hatching ducklings from eggs from Waitrose.
I remember, it happened some years ago and then last year when a teenage boy hatched ducklings from Waitrose duck eggs.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top