Join for free
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 06:50 PM

Idioms

This morning in a Poetry discussion I used the idiom 'learn by heart'. Later someone else used 'off by heart'. Well ... draped elegantly on the sofa, glass of wine in hand, doing a lot of nothing - I began to ponder - why 'heart'? Had to go and look it up and - guess what - according to Bloomsbury International - it's all due to those Ancient Greeks again.

To memorise something perfectly, so that it can be written, recited or performed without thinking. To learn something by heart means that you have understood it before committing it to memory, whereas the similar phrase to learn something by rote often means to memorise without understanding.

Origin

It may seem strange that this phrase credits the ability to remember to the heart instead of to the brain. However, it all goes back to the Ancient Greeks – they believed that the heart was the home of not only emotion, but also of intelligence and memory. This belief was passed on for centuries and led to the creation of the idiom “to learn something by heart” which was commonly used by the 1300s, when the English writer Chaucer recorded the phrase in his play Troilus and Cressida.
Do we all feel better for knowing that? Good - I'll go back to the wine!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 06:56 PM

Re: Idioms

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
This morning in a Poetry discussion I used the idiom 'learn by heart'. Later someone else used 'off by heart'. Well ... draped elegantly on the sofa, glass of wine in hand, doing a lot of nothing - I began to ponder - why 'heart'? Had to go and look it up and - guess what - according to Bloomsbury International - it's all due to those Ancient Greeks again.

Do we all feel better for knowing that? Good - I'll go back to the wine!
<pedant>
Just a minor point, Chaucer's work was Troilus and Criseyde, Troilus and Cressida was by Will Shakespeare.
</pedant>

d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 07:59 PM

Chaucer, Shakespeare, Ancient Greeks or Latinos ...

It's always good to reflect upon the things we say.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
<pedant>
Just a minor point, Chaucer's work was Troilus and Criseyde, Troilus and Cressida was by Will Shakespeare.
</pedant>

Dear Pedant,

I only copied and pasted what Bloomsbury published - but I know you are right!.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

14-06-2020, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Chaucer, Shakespeare, Ancient Greeks or Latinos ...

It's always good to reflect upon the things we say.
I love words and find 'origins' of things fascinating!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I love words and find 'origins' of things fascinating!
Did you watch the fillumMY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING Tabby??
If not l think you would like it??

Donkeyman! 👍😁👍
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 09:11 PM

Crumbs, you're an intellectual lot today.
I learnt none of this kind of stuff in the Beano and Dandy.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top