Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 08:59 AM

Desktop Computer - keep or throw?

I have a pretty old desktop computer with an Acer screen and need to decide if I keep it or not.

When I transferred to a laptop some years ago, I transferred some files over and frankly can't remember what else there is on the desktop that I'd want to keep.

Current situation with the desktop is that it starts up ok with Windows XP - asks for my password which it accepts, then the screen goes blank.

No idea what to do with it, but if I decide to scrap it, how can I ensure that no one can get any information off it?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 09:09 AM

Re: Desktop Computer - keep or throw?

Hi Lindy you can 'wipe' the hard drive of old computers but I reduce mine to bits and take the bits to the tip in separate batches. It is quite a hard job reducing a computer to bits and gloves and goggles are a must
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 09:13 AM

Thanks Meg. Must say that sounds pretty advanced! I had a go at pressing all the buttons on the screen to see if anything occurred.......nothing. Now I've just rebooted the computer and still the screen is black! None of the buttons are having any affect..........drat!
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 09:13 AM

Time to go I think.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

04-07-2020, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Time to go I think.
I think you're right............I'll have to make an appointment to visit to tip!
Lindyloo
isle of wight

04-07-2020, 09:49 AM

I'm now looking through some of the files I saved from the desktop and want to use on either W8 or W10. I used a programme called WRITE on my windows XP desktop - any idea which programme in will open those?

Also - how about old zip discs? throw?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 10:05 AM

I cannibalise old PCs and take out the drives. However this has back fired on me with my last one as the drive bay I bought seems not to accept the drive and goes on and off! I have a password protected file on that and can’t get to it. I still have the tower and a monitor so one day might try and get it together again. If I still have the screws, lol.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 10:17 AM

If it's got XP on, it must be fairly old. It's easy to remove the hard drive and either keep it to rescue data off or physically destroy it. You should do that before dumping. Only a screwdriver and hammer are needed.

I haven't heard of 'WRITE' but if you can get the files you want to keep onto the Desktop, copy them to a USB stick or drive.

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I cannibalise old PCs and take out the drives. However this has back fired on me with my last one as the drive bay I bought seems not to accept the drive and goes on and off! I have a password protected file on that and can’t get to it. I still have the tower and a monitor so one day might try and get it together again. If I still have the screws, lol.
I do the same. One day I'm going to see if I can get a suitable USB caddy to put the drives in and see what's on them. That should be a trip down memory lane. Other computer parts are tucked away here and there. I think they should all be dumped really.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 10:19 AM

If you decide to condemn it to the dump Lindy, you only need to remove or destroy the hard disc where all your stuff is stored, all the rest are just micro circuits and components. The disc out of my last deceased computer is nailed to the shed wall....
Lindyloo
isle of wight

04-07-2020, 10:22 AM

Thanks everyone - I'll get busy with a screwdriver and sledgehammer!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top