Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 11:57 AM

Re: Take Away

We have a take-away once in a while (a delivered take-away these days ). It tastes nice and I never think about what's in it or how it has been prepared.

The weekly diet includes a fair amount of bought pre-prepared foods. Microwave meals most often but oven chips chicken chargrills and that kind of thing as well.

I also eat lots of salad items and fruit, especially seedless black grapes. I can eat loads of them at a sitting.

I know those who are particular about what they eat who have much less energy than I do. I might have had my fair share of ops but others (some younger than me) say they envy my ability to walk fast and cycle places.

All in all, so called junk foods with all its additives hasn't been bad for me. I love the stuff because I think it's always so tasty. Eating it with an amount of fresh fruit and greenery seems to be what works for me. Off out for a bike ride later.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
We have a take-away once in a while (a delivered take-away these days ). It tastes nice and I never think about what's in it or how it has been prepared.

The weekly diet includes a fair amount of bought pre-prepared foods. Microwave meals most often but oven chips chicken chargrills and that kind of thing as well.

I also eat lots of salad items and fruit, especially seedless black grapes. I can eat loads of them at a sitting.

I know those who are particular about what they eat who have much less energy than I do. I might have had my fair share of ops but others (some younger than me) say they envy my ability to walk fast and cycle places.

All in all, so called junk foods with all its additives hasn't been bad for me. I love the stuff because I think it's always so tasty. Eating it with an amount of fresh fruit and greenery seems to be what works for me. Off out for a bike ride later.
Oooooo! I could never 'Nuke' my food with a microwave Mart....And oven chips just don't cut it for me either....Too dry.....All my chips are carefully fashioned and sized from real potatoes and immersed into a chip pan half full of vegetable oil at 170*C ....Enjoy your bike ride though Mart, it's still chucking it down here, but I managed to complete a five mile run this morning in a world full of heavy rain and deep puddles....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 04:06 PM

The last delivered take-away we had was for the 40th wedding anniversary. I don't know when we'll have the next one but they aren't a regular thing.**(see edit)

Just got back from a 4.68 mile bike ride according to Map My Ride. I included some hills in that.

To replace the calories, I reckon the next meal will be Uncle Ben's Spicy Mexican Rice (two minutes in the microwave) with the following added...

Turmeric.
Ginger (powder).
Hoisin sauce.
Chicken strips (cooked in the microwave from frozen).
Peas.
A little Thai curry paste.

All ready in about 10 minutes.

An orange for afters. It's a pint of beer day today as well.

That should more than replace the calories but I'll be out again tomorrow too.

Edit** The take-aways I mean.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Another five days and I'll be one of the over seventies Azure...
What recession? You could have the choice of any job when I left school...None of this tossing it off at university for four years and then a 'Gap' year.....My Dad made it clear when I left school; No job, No wages, No home.....
Congratultions O G F. You don't look a day over a well preserved 50 year old man.

If you lived 'Up North' there was real poverty in 30's 40's
where children went on the slag heaps to find bits of coal for heat.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
Congratultions O G F. You don't look a day over a well preserved 50 year old man.

If you lived 'Up North' there was real poverty in 30's 40's
where children went on the slag heaps to find bits of coal for heat.
Thanks for that Azure, you're a proper Lady....
Hunting for coal on the slag heaps was a common activity even in the fifties and sixties when I was growing up, although I didn't participate myself. It started again during the miners strike. There was quite a bit of coal thrown away on the pit tips, it was mixed with the spoil and too costly to extract on a commercial basis, but it was rich pickings for the children.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

09-07-2020, 08:12 PM

There was a gasworks and coal yard near us. I remember going there with my older brother and sister to get coal, which we wheeled home in the old pram. It was still on ration then.

This was in the supposedly wealthy south too.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

09-07-2020, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
There was a gasworks and coal yard near us. I remember going there with my older brother and sister to get coal, which we wheeled home in the old pram. It was still on ration then.

This was in the supposedly wealthy south too.
Well it fits 'Seamlessly' into the 'Takeaway' thread mart....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

09-07-2020, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Well it fits 'Seamlessly' into the 'Takeaway' thread mart....
So it does.
Matchu
Scarborough
Matchu is male  Matchu has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2020, 05:15 PM

My Dad always claimed to chew bitumen during the 1950s so they could be like Audy Murphy & the cowboys. No chewing gum available...

Also the boys used to raid ammo stockpiles in the woods and my uncle blew his fingers off and hid them in the garden so mother wouldn't find out.

While Father's big 'poverty story' was visiting relatives in a pit village and they were eating fish and chips on Christmas day. But how can that be true? Also, worse things than fish and chips at Christmas, really.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top