Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2020, 08:17 PM

Flying ants seen on radar

Strewth! Nuptial flight.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...her-radar.html

A gigantic swarm of flying ants at least 50 miles wide which can be seen from space has shown up on the Met Office's weather radar today as Britons bask in 84F sunshine on one of the hottest days of the year.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2020, 08:39 PM

Re: Flying ants seen on radar

Makes you wonder how high up they are doesn't it?

At least they're not a plague of locusts.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2020, 08:50 PM

The squirrel on the same page cadging a drink from a bottle is cute.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2020, 09:33 PM

We had flying ant day today ..... I was hoovering the inside of my car (nothing else to do ) and my daughter turned up with a bunch of flowers. So I dropped everything and we went inside.

Thank gawd she came! When she was leaving I went back to finish the car and noted all the flying ants.... eeeek! I got some on my back.

I hate the things... (shivers), so hot footed it back into the house, shut all the windows and there I stayed until a couple of hours later!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2020, 11:35 PM

I can't read that, it doesn't like my ad blocker. I get that a lot with newspaper articles & I refuse to turn it off.

We had flying ants this early evening & several landed on my tee shirt while I was trying to take pics, I just brushed them off.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2020, 12:57 AM

That is an interesting effect. Occasionally locusts do show up on radar in the right conditions

Our weather radar has shown some things that were definitely not rain. For example dust storms show up as does bush fire smoke. Over Christmas and new year smoke was constantly on the radar

Another anomaly is high seas, for example the recent east coast low created 11 metre waves which were picked up by the weather radar. they are very easy to pick though as they pop on and off the radar and move in a way rain never would.

Another problem with weather radar is that it shows rain that evaporates before it reaches the ground. It is annoying to be right under what looks like good rain only to be as dry as.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2020, 07:00 AM

I don't think we get many flying ants in Yorkshire...maybe it's too cold for them or maybe it's just my part of Yorkshire they don't like.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2020, 08:40 AM

Saw them emerge this week from a nest,they soon took to wing and disappeared,what do the worker ants then do? wonder if the Swifts time their fledgling's to around this time,there seems to be young on the wing.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2020, 09:19 AM

We’ve had two nests of flying ants this year, one last week and the other a couple of days ago.

I take my washing in as soon as I see them as it has been known they have hidden in a sleeve before when I’ve been ironing.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2020, 09:47 AM

Thank goodness Elephants can't fly then, we would all be in deep do doos

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top