Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2020, 05:03 PM

Re: A Question

I don’t turn anything off, maybe I’m taking a risk ..... I don’t know 🤔
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2020, 05:48 PM

I think it’s to do with lighting hitting the tv aerial, if it did that then it would travel down the cable and wouldn’t matter if the tv was plugged in or not
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2020, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Just a quickie please . .

Do you use your computer doing a storm?
Is it safe?

Do you unplug your telly and phone?
Here you are, Mups - this tells you everything:-

http://stormhighway.com/safety.php
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2020, 08:21 PM

It may not be necessary to turn off at the mains but I do it anyway. There can be momentary power cuts during storms and I'm not sure that these short power interruptions are good for computers or other electronic equipment. They should be able to cope but there can always exceptions to the rule. Also, if a strike local on power lines occurs, there is the possibility of a power surge or spike. Surge protectors should work but I don't put complete faith in them. If the power does go out completely for a while, I don't turn the switches back on until the power is restored and stable.

I have seen the results strikes on houses. One hit a TV aerial and came down the cable. The co-ax was burnt to a frazzle along its entire length. The cable ran past the budgie cage and the budgie was killed. The charge blew the TV up, mostly around the aerial socket and tuner but other places on the PCB as well. It became an ex-television. Unplugging at the mains wouldn't have stopped this but unplugging the aerial might have. Then again, what a good job they weren't in the process of unplugging it when the strike happened.

Another strike incident I went to had picked up the carpet from around the edges of the room and heaped it into the middle. It was thought this was because of a tubular steel coffee table that was in the middle of the floor. The chrome plating on the tubular steel had gone the colour of a motorbike exhaust pipe. Other damage too ..including the TV of course, which is why I was there.

Maybe seeing those cases is what has made me a bit cautious. Perhaps unnecessarily but it doesn't make any difference to anyone else if I do it, so I think it's OK.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2020, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->

Center for Security.
East Greenbush, New York‎;

Not altogether pertinent for British weather.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2020, 08:38 PM

Just a quickie please . .

Do you use your computer doing a storm?
Is it safe?

Do you unplug your telly and phone?

I don't use the computer during a storm and always switch the TV off at the mains (but don't unplug it).
I don't use the phone during a storm either.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2020, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->

Thank you for the link Tabby, I will have a read.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2020, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
I don't use the computer during a storm and always switch the TV off at the mains (but don't unplug it).
I don't use the phone during a storm either.

If a storm is very loud and sounds close by, I switch my telly off too Pesta, but I also unplug mine and unplug the ariel too. I also unplug my phone line - then usually forget to re-connect it.

I didn't know what to do about my computer though, because I seem to remember hearing about power surges when the power is restored, but don't really understand electrics much.

It only takes a minute, so I think perhaps better to be safe than sorry?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

25-07-2020, 10:14 PM

Thanks everyone, for your comments on this, much appreciated.
I suppose it's because I don't understand this sort of thing that it worries me and I didn't know what to do for the best.

I am grateful for everyone's thoughts, although I'm afraid it's no good telling me about bits of fancy equipment or how my wiring should be, because I haven't a clue what you're talking about.
So I really needed a simple answer to a straightforward question - To unplug , or not to unplug?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2020, 10:39 PM

Thanks everyone, for your comments on this, much appreciated.
I suppose it's because I don't understand this sort of thing that it worries me and I didn't know what to do for the best.

I am grateful for everyone's thoughts, although I'm afraid it's no good telling me about bits of fancy equipment or how my wiring should be, because I haven't a clue what you're talking about.
So I really needed a simple answer to a straightforward question - To unplug , or not to unplug?
If in doubt pull the plug out.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top