Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 10:52 AM

Re: Blaming the poor

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Not just the poor who doesn’t like pizza or fish and chips .
Especially in our usually cold old climate .

I can't abide Pizza......Shudder.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 11:41 AM

There are reasons that some / many people are less well off in this country. The effect on their way of life and their values and behaviour is indeterminate.

As for pizza, to me they're just a bloomin' expensive way to get cheese on toast.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->

But he's got some balls blaming the government when it's mostly people like him and the media that create most of the troubles in society today with their interpretation and manipulation of what the government is trying to say

Agree.

If we want healthier diets, we need not lectures on healthy eating but a serious attack on poverty.
The government have to tackle poverty because their policies are responsible for it. Charities and foodbanks are the only lifeline even for those in work.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I can't abide Pizza......Shudder.
Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
There are reasons that some / many people are less well off in this country. The effect on their way of life and their values and behaviour is indeterminate.

As for pizza, to me they're just a bloomin' expensive way to get cheese on toast.
Oh dear, don't let any Italian's hear you say that. A true Italian pizza is a dish to behold, a work of God's own making, a truly delicious meal in itself. However, a pizza from Pizza Express, etc is the very Devil's own work and I wouldn't touch one if I was starving to death.

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Agree.

The government have to tackle poverty because their policies are responsible for it. Charities and foodbanks are the only lifeline even for those in work.
I agree too.

Even if the Government raised the minimum wage to, say, £12 or £15/hr, there would still be people who would be classed as "poor" simply because of the way poverty is defined. Taking a statistical look at salaries, the distribution is far from a normal curve. However, if you consider it as a normal distribution, the below average salaries can be considered "poor" so, by increasing the minimum wage, you will increase the average and move SOME people out of poverty. Yet, by doing so, those that remain below the average will be all the poorer for it because prices will have to rise to compensate for the increased wages being paid.

In my opinion, the best way for anyone of working age to move out of poverty is to improve their employability, and, thus, higher wages, by training and education.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Oh dear, don't let any Italian's hear you say that. A true Italian pizza is a dish to behold, a work of God's own making, a truly delicious meal in itself. However, a pizza from Pizza Express, etc is the very Devil's own work and I wouldn't touch one if I was starving to death.

I agree too.

Even if the Government raised the minimum wage to, say, £12 or £15/hr, there would still be people who would be classed as "poor" simply because of the way poverty is defined. Taking a statistical look at salaries, the distribution is far from a normal curve. However, if you consider it as a normal distribution, the below average salaries can be considered "poor" so, by increasing the minimum wage, you will increase the average and move SOME people out of poverty. Yet, by doing so, those that remain below the average will be all the poorer for it because prices will have to rise to compensate for the increased wages being paid.

In my opinion, the best way for anyone of working age to move out of poverty is to improve their employability, and, thus, higher wages, by training and education.

What ? By teaching them IT??
No wonder we need immigration

Donkeyman! 👎😟👎
Percy Vere
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
What ? By teaching them IT??
No wonder we need immigration

Donkeyman! 👎😟👎
Why not? Then there's statistics, teaching, all flavours of engineering, all flavours of science. That's were all the vacancies were and will be in the future - along with the usual trades of course. The only subjects that should go by the wayside are those like Media/Film Studies, etc.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I
I agree Percy and I don't know why all pizzas are classed as 'junk food' .
I had one for lunch making my own base with organic flour and topping with garlic from the garden, fresh tomatoes/sun dried tomatoes/ a little mozzarella and parmesan then topped with loads of fresh basil and served with a green salad.
Percy Vere

03-08-2020, 03:52 PM

Good for you Meg
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 03:53 PM

I adore pizza and could gladly live off pizza and salad for the rest of my life .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Meg I don’t think the community is united .
There is bad feeling everywhere .
I agree Muddy but some of that is down to the media and their poor reporting. You only have to listen to the Today programme on radio 4, the interviewers ask some inappropriate inane questions putting words in peoples mouths that are guaranteed to cause problems and spread descent among people instead of asking useful questions and helping to unite the country.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top