Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 11:47 AM

Re: ADVANCE DIRECTIVE/ final wishes

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Annie, I apologize if I have upset you. That was not my intension.
I don't think I'm afraid of death itself, but rather the idea that I might end up being in a coma or otherwise unconscious for a lengthy time, yet still, somehow, being aware that I am in intense pain and not being able to communicate with a doctor.

With the current Covid virus crisis, I'd hate to be on a ventilator (unconscious and in pain ?) for God knows how long. With my own personal experience, I know for certain that it is very possible to be "unconscious" yet in agonizing pain. If that should ever happen to me again, I'd want to end it quickly. Thus, the desire to have an "Advance Directive" which would force the doctors to "end me" quickly.

Bakerman I can totally understand how you feel particularly given your awful experience. They were very negligent as someone should have been monitoring your stress levels. I'm not quite sure how they do this but perhaps the effects of anaesthesia dumb down the blood pressure which would normally rocket if you are in severe pain.

Perhaps on a ventilator that is monitored more closely and pain meds administered? I am not sure but my understanding is that they induce a coma. Have you thought about talking to a nurse or doctor about how the process works, just to put your mind at ease?

I really do hope that the vaccine works to reduce the spread. I have the same fear of being on a ventilator. The thought of anything like that sends shivers down my spine. You could ask them not to put you on a ventilator if anything happens. Do they need your permission to use one? Something as simple as a medichain around your neck or wrist could list your wishes. I used to wear one for my allergies.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 09:39 PM

Yesterday, I received an email from my clinic's social worker at the Senior Center. She informed me that I can easily petition the court to assign an "administrator" who would enforce my "Advance Directives". I'll be looking into this.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2020, 05:25 AM

How odd that a few weeks ago I felt a pressing need to have an "Advance Directive" which would detail how I wish to be treated in hospital if I should be in a coma or otherwise unable to speak. Now, my Dr. has informed me that I'll be needing heart surgery due to dangerously irregular heartbeats. Almost as if I had a premonition.

Fortunately or unfortunately, depending upon how you look at it, the surgery must wait because the hospital is delaying non-emergency surgery due to Covid-19.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2020, 08:07 AM

If it’s non emergency its not too urgent so get your stuff in order and then relax

take care now.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2020, 01:37 AM

I agree with Muddy. I’m so glad to see you post. I was getting worried about you. How are you feeling now Bakerman?
bakerman
Mexico

02-09-2020, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
I agree with Muddy. I’m so glad to see you post. I was getting worried about you. How are you feeling now Bakerman?

Something is happening to me. Low grade fever, and heavy chills. I woke up 2 days ago and I was shaking like I had fallen into an icy river. Extremely tired. Need 4 or 5 naps/day. The chills come and go.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top