Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 09:01 PM

Re: Recycling worry

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
You cannot get through on the phone to the recycling dept now .
You would put it into a street litter in .. you cannot be serious !

Zuleiker, we just got notes tied to our bins last week saying they are going to start collecting small electrical items in a trailer of some sort as from next week, so we are lucky.

However, that is not much help to you, unless you live in my area.

I would definitely keep ringing the council, if you can't get through on the phone, then I would email them.

Secondly, don't any neighbours or friends go to the tip?
Perhaps they wouldn't mind dropping it off for you?

Thirdly, is it allowed to go into the other bin, the household waste bin, rather than recycling?

Those suggestions are all I can think of a the mo, but hope it helps.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 09:20 PM

Thanks , your green bin is my brown bin .
I will try placing the kettle with what they call the “ refuse rubbish we can’t recycle” bin .
..... but electric kettles CAN be recycled .....
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
..... but electric kettles CAN be recycled .....
The 1st thing I will try for is the next collection day . I might even get to talk to a council worker picking up and fall on his sympathy .
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Zuleiker, we just got notes tied to our bins last week saying they are going to start collecting small electrical items in a trailer of some sort as from next week, so we are lucky.

I would definitely keep ringing the council, if you can't get through on the phone, then I would email them.

Thirdly, is it allowed to go into the other bin, the household waste bin, rather than recycling?

Mups what a good idea your council have decided upon . There is no way now you can get directly through to the council refuse / recycling people but you could at one time .
Oh I dare say some do ,in fact I know one at least but I wouldn’t dream of asking .
Thankyou for thinking anyway

Ok so now what about used bed linen ,towels , clothing not good enough for charity shops ?
pathfinder
scotland
pathfinder is male  pathfinder has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 03:59 PM

Threats from the local council that anyone caught putting unauthorised items onto the appointed recycling bin will be fined has made me anxious about the disposal of small used electrical items and used bedding ,worn out towels and the like .
The nearest site for these is miles away and I don’t drive .

All I want at the moment is to know where can I dispose of an electric kettle ?
Have you not got a friend or a family member who has a car to help you
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 04:09 PM

Mups what a good idea your council have decided upon . There is no way now you can get directly through to the council refuse / recycling people but you could at one time .
Oh I dare say some do ,in fact I know one at least but I wouldn’t dream of asking .
Thankyou for thinking anyway

Ok so now what about used bed linen ,towels , clothing not good enough for charity shops ?

Zuleika, again I can only say what happens round here.
In nearly every supermarket car park here e.g. Morrisons, Tesco, Asda, they have those big clothes recycling bins where you just pull down a lever, and a sort of ledge appears. You just put whatever you are disposing of on the ledge and push the handle back up and it all just drops down into the inside bin.

I appreciate if you don't drive, a lot of things will be more difficult though, so again, I don't know what to suggest other than a family member, or friend, or failing that, a taxi I suppose.

One last thought. Some of the Charity shops will collect if you give them a ring. I know the Sally Army does, and British Heart Foundation for a start.

If you can't get your local council by phone, have you tried the 'contact' section on their website?

Makes me see why stuff just gets dumped in some cases!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 04:29 PM

Mups, sounds like your Council are trying to put the Tat Men out of business.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 08:06 PM

I'm probably being a bit dense but does anyone know if like us, when the binmen collect our recycled rubbish on a fortnightly basis, do council rubbish collection vehicles have separate compartments on the back of the lorry.
We do our utmost to do our bit for the environment and diligently separate our glass, plastic, paper etc, but when looking at them emptying each of the bins/boxes, they all seem to look as though they are all being emptied into the same place on the lorry?

Someone even told me that it is a waste of time recycling as most of the separated recycling either ends up in landfill or sent abroad lumped together??

Does anyone know?
Zuleika
North West UK

23-12-2019, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by pathfinder ->
Have you not got a friend or a family member who has a car to help you
No family and frankly I wouldn’t ask a friend to drive miles to an out of way spot where I understand these things can be deposited .
Zuleika
North West UK

23-12-2019, 08:21 PM

Zuleika, again I can only say what happens round here.
In nearly every supermarket car park here e.g. Morrisons, Tesco, Asda, they have those big clothes recycling bins where you just pull down a lever, and a sort of ledge appears. You just put whatever you are disposing of on the ledge and push the handle back up and it all just drops down into the inside bin.

I appreciate if you don't drive, a lot of things will be more difficult though, so again, I don't know what to suggest other than a family member, or friend, or failing that, a taxi I suppose.

One last thought. Some of the Charity shops will collect if you give them a ring. I know the Sally Army does, and British Heart Foundation for a start.

If you can't get your local council by phone, have you tried the 'contact' section on their website?

Makes me see why stuff just gets dumped in some cases!
Mups you have wealth of information for me but yet again ,not happening round here
We did have one of those containers you described so well ,but for some reason it was done away with .
After that we were told we could leave those items on a certain week outside our doors .Then that was done away with so that we’re left with the current predicament .
The local Sainsbury (taxi ride away) has quite a lot of containers in the car park but none for clothing etc . Grrrrr !
Yes I’ve been online on the council website but there’s nowhere to submit my kind of question .
Anyway I’ve parcelled some items up in a carrier bag marked “rags for recycling “Will take to a charity shop .

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top