Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 01:27 PM

Re: Living too long

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
There are many causes of depression Muddy, A feeling of worthlessness, Bullying, Medication, Persistent pain......The list is endless, but depression is not an illness on it's own, it is the result of something else....A mindset.....

It seems strange now that there are so many suicides relating to young people.
In my lifetime I have only known three people who committed suicide...But now it's in the news practically every day. It seems that bullying on social media is one cause, and tree huggers telling us how we are destroying the planet and it's all our fault....
No OGF clinical depression is an illness not a mindset .

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/clinical-depression/

If it were a mindset every depressed person would change their mind immediately .
People have always committed suicide just because you don’t know them doesn’t mean they don t do it
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 01:59 PM

OMG! I'm feeling depressed after reading the first few posts. I'm off to read another thread!
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
OMG! I'm feeling depressed after reading the first few posts. I'm off to read another thread!
I don,t blame you.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 03:20 PM

Why does death - talking about it, preparing for it, or doing it have to be negative?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
No OGF clinical depression is an illness not a mindset .

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/clinical-depression/

If it were a mindset every depressed person would change their mind immediately .
People have always committed suicide just because you don’t know them doesn’t mean they don t do it
And there will be one more if I continue reading this thread....
For God's sake Muddy......Pull yourself together....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
And there will be one more if I continue reading this thread....
For God's sake Muddy......Pull yourself together....
Don't worry mate, Muddy is going to Australia soon to cheer them up down under. She will no doubt be sending us her happy sunny smiles which we will be badly needing in January/February.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Don't worry mate, Muddy is going to Australia soon to cheer them up down under. She will no doubt be sending us her happy sunny smiles which we will be badly needing in January/February.
Sorry Floydy, I didn't see your post......I was too busy looking for a stout beam and a piece of sturdy rope.....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 07:41 PM

Respectfully, I have to disagree that depression is a mindset. It is caused by he pathophysiology (caused by inflammation, the morphology of the brain [genetic], trauma, toxins, disease) distributed across many brain regions and circuits.

Being sad or down for a while when you have a healthy brain is not the same, and it is not depression. If you are down and have a healthy brain, you have the basic functioning equipment to use strategies to get well. Examples of this are healthy people who lose a loved one, face a job loss, go through a divorce, etc causing them to remain sad, lonely, distant, and otherwise dysfunctional for a while. They have the equipment to get better - and there are many strategies that can work for them.

Depressed people can no more pull themselves up by their bootstraps to control their illness any more than people can do likewise to cure their cancer. This is why no one who is physiologically depressed ever graduates out of therapy without medical intervention - or their bodies heal as a result of immune responses. They aren't weak or negative, their brains are sick and require medical treatment.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

11-11-2019, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Respectfully, I have to disagree that depression is a mindset. It is caused by he pathophysiology (caused by inflammation, the morphology of the brain [genetic], trauma, toxins, disease) distributed across many brain regions and circuits.

Being sad or down for a while when you have a healthy brain is not the same, and it is not depression. If you are down and have a healthy brain, you have the basic functioning equipment to use strategies to get well. Examples of this are healthy people who lose a loved one, face a job loss, go through a divorce, etc causing them to remain sad, lonely, distant, and otherwise dysfunctional for a while. They have the equipment to get better - and there are many strategies that can work for them.

Depressed people can no more pull themselves up by their bootstraps to control their illness any more than people can do likewise to cure their cancer. This is why no one who is physiologically depressed ever graduates out of therapy without medical intervention - or their bodies heal as a result of immune responses. They aren't weak or negative, their brains are sick and require medical treatment.
As I said earlier Surfermom, there are many causes for depression and not all depression is caused by inflammation etc, it can be caused by bullying, medication, a lack of confidence and a feeling of worthlessness and low self esteem, not to mention money trouble. In fact I would go as far to say that the majority of suicides are by those causes I mentioned, the friends I know who commited suicide were not clinically depressed.....
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->

Excellent post.

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top