Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2016, 12:53 PM

You know you're getting old...

when you start receiving "pre-purchase your own burial plot!" notices in the mail.

If I get one more of those things, I'm calling the company and giving them a what-for. I'm only 50-freakin-2, for crying out loud.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2016, 01:01 PM

Re: You know you're getting old...

Next thing, they will offer "Buy one get one free".
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2016, 01:05 PM

Oh, what a deal!

LOL
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2016, 01:08 PM

I actually do have a plot in cementery which will do for myself and my husband .
I suppose I will end up there one day or at least my ashes if I die in some far distant field .
We are in the final furlong no getting away from it
Graves are very expensive and like houses are in short supply .
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2016, 01:15 PM

I have decided on the No Funeral arrangement ,, this means when you die you are taken straight to the Crematorium and cremated . No service or keeping in a Cupboard for a week .
Cost is as low as a £1000, from a story I read , several well known people are taking this way out ..Davie Bowie for one and a famous Author
Linda0818
USA

04-04-2016, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
I have decided on the No Funeral arrangement ,, this means when you die you are taken straight to the Crematorium and cremated . No service or keeping in a Cupboard for a week .
Cost is as low as a £1000, from a story I read , several well known people are taking this way out ..Davie Bowie for one and a famous Author
That's not a bad idea, although I suppose I'd leave it up to my family what they want to do. Whatever is easier for them. If they want a full service, fine. If they want to cremate me and have a small graveside service, fine. Or, no service at all. Cremate me and just have a get-together at home, I don't care. Whatever they can afford. I have life insurance and it will be enough to cover funeral and burial costs, but if they want to hold onto some of that money and not blow it all on me, I have no problem with it.

I get the idea behind pre-purchasing your own grave. In the end I suppose it's easier for the family because I don't want to put it all on them. But it's just the idea I find amusing, that once you make it past 50, the offers start rolling in

By the same token, however, any of us can die at any time. It's not a bad idea to have gravesites set up for everyone in the family.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2016, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
I haven't heard of this Eliza.

Would your body be put in a coffin or be in a body bag?
Would your family be present at the cremation? Would you have a service to bury your ashes or just have them scattered?

It does seem an easy way to do things - would it still require an undertaker?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2016, 03:28 PM

Read this the other day...sounds good to me

It sometimes takes the example of a leading light to show us a different route around seemingly solid social convention. Remember the “no presents please” diktat optioned by President Mandela for his 90th birthday? Everyone rolled their eyes. Now, however, we are all doing it – and way before we hit 90.

"I think zero-fuss funerals might well be on the same trajectory. Both David Bowie and the novelist Anita Brookner, who died this week, went for “direct cremation”, where the body is sent straight to the cremator from hospital or home, with no attendance or ceremony. Ashes are scattered by the undertakers or returned to the family. Apparently this send-off is chosen by about 2,000 people a year in England and Wales – but now that such high-profile figures have brought attention to it, I suspect that figure will increase rapidly. "

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...-a6939516.html
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2016, 03:32 PM

A skip and a gallon of petrol for me.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2016, 03:35 PM

Been receiving these for a while Linda0818, I was like you put out at them sending them through to me. Have you started receiving information for stairlifts yet if not that will be next

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top