Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 11:25 AM

HMRC SCAM - Beware

I wanted to warn you good folks about an email I received this morning supposedly from HMRC.

It looked official, even gave a reference number, and said due to recent changes I was due a tax rebate of £268 odd, and to sign in to a Gateway Account first.

My first first thought was "Scam".

First I rang people called 'Tax Help for Older People, who also said it was a scam. Their number is 01308 488 066 and they give free advice for us oldies. She was a very nice lady.

Then I thought I had better check with HMRC to make sure.
Well, what pallaver.
They don't give their phone numbers out on their website, so
I rang my bank and they have me the number to ring.

Eventually I got through to HMRC and the chap there said Scam, and asked me to send it to him for their security people to check out.

If any of you also receive one of these Tax Refund emails pretending to be from HMRC, here is the address you need to forward it to:

phishing@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk

I have now deleted the email and blocked the senders domain, but just wanted to warn others too.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 11:30 AM

Re: HMRC SCAM - Beware

Thanks for the warning .....
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 11:52 AM

Ta Mups you an never be too careful.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 11:56 AM

Thanks Mups for the warning.

The fact that HMRC is more difficult to deal with than the scammers is not reassuring.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 12:02 PM

One thing I always think is have I given them my email, if not it's a scam. Generally I'd suggest no company ever uses email for giving you money either they still use traditional mail.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 12:24 PM

Well done for the warning Mups. One can't be too careful.

I had a knock on the door the other morning and there stood a woman with a security card around her neck with the name "Morrisons Data). She also had one of those readers in her hand. She said "I've come to read your gas meter". (I'm with British Gas). I said "who are you?" She said "Morrisons Data" as she held the card up for me to see. I said "Sorry, but the name means nothing to me, have you got some ID or authorisation from British Gas to show me that you are reading the meters on their behalf?" she replied "No,but we do the readings for them" as she kept thrusting the card around her neck towards me as though this was enough evidence. "Not in my house, you're not" says I, until I am able to see something, anything, that shows me you are whom you say you are acting on behalf of British Gas, sorry, but you're not coming in" and I closed the door on her.

I then rang British Gas, who informed me that Morrisons Data read all their meters for them. I enquired why then, did they not supply their meter readers with proof to show householders, many of them vulnerable pensioners, that this is so. We are continually warned not to let people without proof, into our homes, and it is too late once they are in and that pensioner is alone! Their reply was: "We do not supply them with ID because they work for several utility companies". I told them that was ridiculous. They then offered me the option of having a password for the three monthly meter reading, and if the meter reader did not know it, I could happily send them on their way. I have taken this up with them so should not have the problem anymore.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 08:18 PM

Thanks for the warning Mups
Frankie1944
Herts uk
Frankie1944 is female  Frankie1944 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 09:47 PM

I have had a couple of phone calls from HMRC with a recorded message telling me to Press 1 to speak to my case officer as they need to speak to me regarding my outstanding tax bill, I just ignore them as I know that if they want me they will send letters through the post.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 09:56 PM

Buggers aren't they Frankie.

Just to let you all know the outcome today, I had an email back from the revenue people a little while after I sent the phishing email, and it was to confirm that is was definitely a scam.

They also sent a site I could look on to check all currently known scams supposed to be sent by them.
It asked me to always report this sort of thing to them, as many people just delete them and don't report them.

I have also discovered today, that so far, 2 of my friends have also received the same scam, saying they are due a tax refund.
Unfortunately they didn't report them.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Buggers aren't they Frankie.

Just to let you all know the outcome today, I had an email back from the revenue people a little while after I sent the phishing email, and it was to confirm that is was definitely a scam.

They also sent a site I could look on to check all currently known scams supposed to be sent by them.
It asked me to always report this sort of thing to them, as many people just delete them and don't report them.

I have also discovered today, that so far, 2 of my friends have also received the same scam, saying they are due a tax refund.
Unfortunately they didn't report them.
Hi

I never open anything from HMRC, even letters.

They are invariably wanting money from me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top