Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 04:59 PM

Re: What Would You Do In The Event Of a Fire?

just got to remember to put some clothes on before I go out
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 04:59 PM

I too live in a Bung' so don't worry about having a fire as I check everything before bed..Windows open outwards...also have a small fire extinguisher in kitchen.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 05:39 PM

My friend woke to the smoke alarm in her flat , her TV was alight . She ran shouting to all neighbours and banged on their doors , all got out safely . Just a warning about leaving TV on standby. I do leave my TV recording box on to record but TV goes off at wall switch . As for my house I'd have to go to front bedroom and wait for a fireman's lift . Below my bedroom window is a glass conservatory so that's a no go . I'm careful when I go up checking the kitchen etc. I have three smoke alarms, hall , lounge and landing
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by doctor ->
I go to bed with a bucket of water by my side,

never worrys me about a fire,,upstairs out onto the balcony,close the doors behind me

I do hope you don't kick the bucket one night, Doc.

I am in a bungalow too.
I have a front door and a back door, so I like to think one of them would be accessible.

Failing that it would have to be a window I suppose.
I hope I could get my dogs together and out with me quick enough too.

Talking of fires, When smoke detectors need the battery changing they start bleeping don't they, but do carbon monoxide detectors do the same? Do they bleep when a battery needs changing or only if they detect fumes?
Does anyone know please?
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

Talking of fires, When smoke detectors need the battery changing they start bleeping don't they, but do carbon monoxide detectors do the same? Do they bleep when a battery needs changing or only if they detect fumes?
Does anyone know please?
Dunno Mups, but logic says I would have thought so - don't you feel a Google moment coming on?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Dunno Mups, but logic says I would have thought so - don't you feel a Google moment coming on?

Hmmm, perhaps you're right Pesta.

I just didn't want to panic and think we'd all die in our beds, if the thing started bleeping and all it was was the battery.

I'll perhaps ask Judd, he knows about electrics and things.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 10:15 PM

Yes, I'm in a bungalow too. Got the front door, porch door and back door. Only large opening window is over the sink, not sure I could negotiate that without breaking a leg.
If I couldn't get in the hall or the kitchen for the doors, I'm stuffed

Many moons ago, my dog and I lived in a 2 bed terraced cottage. One night about 3am I woke to a smell of burning. I raced downstairs, dog looked up sleepily (fat lot of use she was ), kitchen ok, lounge ok. Raced back upstairs, bathroom ok, my room ok... went in 2nd bedroom (door was closed) and when I opened it, it was full of smoke.

Phoned fire brigade who were literally over the road. So many firemen came wearing breathing apparatus - can't remember how many, maybe 8? Seemed a lot in a tiny cottage

Anyway to cut story short, it was a young girl with a baby who rented the cottage next door - she'd left a small dryer on and according to the firemen, a few minutes longer and that would have been that.
The stench was horrendous and their lounge and kitchen were filthy.

The fun side was the fireman all hung around for tea/coffee as did a few neighbours. Not worth going back to bed, as it was almost time for work when everyone left.

I did feel annoyed though that the girl came round the next evening wondering if I had any cleaning materials - never did thank me. I dread to think what could have happened to them if I hadn't smelled the smoke.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 10:18 PM

Living in a wooden house can be a fire trap . we have a fire escape pullout ladder from the bedroom. smoke detectors in most rooms. Fire extinguisher in the lounge , at top of stairs , kitchen. These are checked each year by the fire service. The wood stove chimney is swept each year in about May,the sweep does it from the top, all the soot just falls down into a chamber and either he will take it away or we use it on the garden.
There are far too many fires in Norway in wooden houses, mainly through lack of maintenance.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 10:22 PM

Out of interest upstairs rooms now have to have windows that open 90 degrees and should not have a lock on it. That is not much help if you can't get out onto anything and a 15/20 ft drop. Supposed to be for rscue purposes.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 10:29 PM

As I live in a single storey wooden house which would be a pile of ashes in about 15minutes I would just get out.

There are fire alarms in each room - that reminds me; the batteries are overdue for replacement.

Insurance covers the house and contents and it would be an excellent way to declutter.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top