Join for free
Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2020, 10:52 AM

Re: Ladies I’m in search of the bra alternative .

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
LOL!! 'Head 'em up, and move 'em out'??!!
ST, You’re on my wavelength!
Xandra
United Kingdom
Xandra is female  Xandra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2020, 10:54 AM

Have you a Sainsbury's near you? They sell these - non-wired and non-padded.

https://tuclothing.sainsburys.co.uk/...searchProduct=

Yes I wear those, have them in blues and turquoise.
They are so comfortable you don't know you are wearing them.
No fiddly straps a nd fastenings.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2020, 11:01 AM

I have never had a problem with bras. I wear comfortable soft non-wired, non-padded ones around the house - but they have to be pretty. When I am out and about I wear wired ones but - again - pretty. For nights out I have some really glamorous wired ones. Would never wear padded ones - don't need them and don't like the smell of them.

One thing I am particular about - Bra, pants and petticoats have to be the same colour and appropriate to what top clothes I am wearing - black with black, navy with navy, etc.,

Do the rest of you do that too?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2020, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Meg I've got into the habit of not wearing a bra indoors but it's not a good habit is it ?
The Sloggi one is probably something like I had in mind but what use if it doesn't give a bit of support
Hi Zuleika I find the Sloggi helps to stop 'flesh on flesh' and to prevent a heat rash in hot weather.
It also improves the 'not wearing a bra' look if you have on a fitted thin top or tea shirt.

I had a problem with a rash on my back last year, it was probably caused by my medication irritating a sensitive area where the nerves were damaged by shingles. Wearing a bra was a nightmare and I found a Sloggi helped.
Xandra
United Kingdom
Xandra is female  Xandra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2020, 11:41 AM

I have never had a problem with bras. I wear comfortable soft non-wired, non-padded ones around the house - but they have to be pretty. When I am out and about I wear wired ones but - again - pretty. For nights out I have some really glamorous wired ones. Would never wear padded ones - don't need them and don't like the smell of them.

One thing I am particular about - Bra, pants and petticoats have to be the same colour and appropriate to what top clothes I am wearing - black with black, navy with navy, etc.,

Do the rest of you do that too?
No whatever is clean and comes out of the drawer first, but all colours, no black or white.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2020, 12:50 PM

I’ve only ever had one professional bra fitting many years ago, but I still recall what the expert told me on how to measure myself for a perfect bra fitting.

UNDERBUST
Wrap the tape measure around your body underneath your breasts where the underwire of your other bras would be. Make sure when you join the tape together at the centre of under your bust, your body is fully relaxed. Ensure the tape left hanging is straight and parallel to the floor.

ACROSS THE BUST
Bring the tape across the fullest part of your bust so the tape measure meets at the side, again, your body should be relaxed. Ensure the remaining tape is straight and parallel to the floor.

ACROSS THE BACK
Again, measure from side to side just under your bust. Body relaxed, measure until tape meets, with remaining tape straight and parallel to the floor

Ok, that’s fine. All my life I have worn underwired bra’s and they were perfect until I reached my mid 40’s when I went up an extra size (dammit!) Until then I was happy to follow those golden rules with no problems.

HOWEVER! I gave up buying normal cotton and lace underwired bras (usually M&S) when the underbust, across the bust and across the back method no longer worked due to me having COPD and no longer able to wear anything that constricted my breathing. In fact,after wearing one for just an hour or so, it would start to feel like a vice and I would be always eager to rip it off so I could breathe easily and comfortably again!

I know this sounds like an advert but I then tried Sloggi bras for the first time as I desperately searched for a suitable bra - I tried sports bras, too tight, T-Shirt bras - still too tight, then I found Sloggi bras. Aahh, the comfort, Thankyou!
I don’t happen to care that they feel as though one is not wearing a bra at all. Sloggi bras are perfect for me, I can wear one all day in total comfort. I don’t have big boobs so I am confident they are neatly encased, two certain points are not playing the starring roles, and best of all, I can breathe unhindered!! I have them in White, Flesh colour and Black. Bras for all seasons so to speak. Same with their matching Briefs. They are an absolute godsend! A bit sad perhaps these days when I open the drawer to be met with such bland colours compared to days passed, but at the age of 71, I'm afraid I've reached the stage of give me comfort over looks every time please.

As for at home and bedtime, its Au Naturel every time.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2020, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Zuleika I find the Sloggi helps to stop 'flesh on flesh' and to prevent a heat rash in hot weather.
It also improves the 'not wearing a bra' look if you have on a fitted thin top or tea shirt.

I had a problem with a rash on my back last year, it was probably caused by my medication irritating a sensitive area where the nerves were damaged by shingles. Wearing a bra was a nightmare and I found a Sloggi helped.
Thankyou Meg Not sure where to find them . Tj Hughes used to stock iirc but we don’t have that store anymore .
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2020, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I’ve only ever had one professional bra fitting many years ago, but I still recall what the expert told me on how to measure myself for a perfect bra fitting.

UNDERBUST
Wrap the tape measure around your body underneath your breasts where the underwire of your other bras would be. Make sure when you join the tape together at the centre of under your bust, your body is fully relaxed. Ensure the tape left hanging is straight and parallel to the floor.

ACROSS THE BUST
Bring the tape across the fullest part of your bust so the tape measure meets at the side, again, your body should be relaxed. Ensure the remaining tape is straight and parallel to the floor.

ACROSS THE BACK
Again, measure from side to side just under your bust. Body relaxed, measure until tape meets, with remaining tape straight and parallel to the floor

Ok, that’s fine. All my life I have worn underwired bra’s and they were perfect until I reached my mid 40’s when I went up an extra size (dammit!) Until then I was happy to follow those golden rules with no problems.

HOWEVER! I gave up buying normal cotton and lace underwired bras (usually M&S) when the underbust, across the bust and across the back method no longer worked due to me having COPD and no longer able to wear anything that constricted my breathing. In fact,after wearing one for just an hour or so, it would start to feel like a vice and I would be always eager to rip it off so I could breathe easily and comfortably again!

I know this sounds like an advert but I then tried Sloggi bras for the first time as I desperately searched for a suitable bra - I tried sports bras, too tight, T-Shirt bras - still too tight, then I found Sloggi bras. Aahh, the comfort, Thankyou!
I don’t happen to care that they feel as though one is not wearing a bra at all. Sloggi bras are perfect for me, I can wear one all day in total comfort. I don’t have big boobs so I am confident they are neatly encased, two certain points are not playing the starring roles, and best of all, I can breathe unhindered!! I have them in White, Flesh colour and Black. Bras for all seasons so to speak. Same with their matching Briefs. They are an absolute godsend! A bit sad perhaps these days when I open the drawer to be met with such bland colours compared to days passed, but at the age of 71, I'm afraid I've reached the stage of give me comfort over looks every time please.

As for at home and bedtime, its Au Naturel every time.
Shropshiregirl thankyou for this explanation and endorsement of others recommending Sloggi .
I was last measured a couple of years ago in Debenhams .
I have a big back rather than big boobs btw.
So did you guess what Sloggi size you needed and just look at all the styles they do ?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2020, 01:53 PM

Have you a Sainsbury's near you? They sell these - non-wired and non-padded.

https://tuclothing.sainsburys.co.uk/...searchProduct=

I wear these, but there are some without the lacey trim which are better. They come in more colours, but they are only sold in singles, not threes. When they have them they seem to go quite quickly, so if they have them and you like them get a few. They are not quite good enough to go to the gym in, but everyday wear they are fine for me. I do comfort more than style these days, but I do like the colours and I have one in leopard pattern. As an alternative, I buy the Marks and Spencer, total support bras, which do give better support, but not as much comfort. I find it impossible to happily wear some of the beautiful looking bras, especially the wired ones. I don't do padding either.
I am looking for a decent sports bra at the moment, but don't know which to try - there are so many.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2020, 02:21 PM

If you ladies are looking for total support, my hands are always warm and fit any size.

Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top