Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 12:14 AM

Re: I Found One Of My Hens Dead This Afternoon..

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes, you're right Art. She should have lived longer than 18 months.
As I said before, it could have been one of several things but perhaps you'll never know now.
I was very fond of my birds, so I can understand how you feel.
Thank You again, Mups.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Thanks Baz.

I keep thinking, could l have averted it any way?
My sister, my ex husband and l think Mups said it too, that a fox might have frightened her?

I will never know.....
You are more than welcome Artangel, personally I know how upsetting something like that can be.

Perhaps best to realise that if you could have averted it you would have done so. On the question of a fox, yes, that could have been a possibility. I had pet rabbits as a youngster and one of those was found deceased in its hutch one morning. That was put down to having been frightened by a fox. Now, probably around 60 or so years on, I have never forgotten. However, that was beyond my control so that is how I had to accept it, part of life unfortunately.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 11:33 AM

It's because hens are the way that they are, almost like pets, that makes it so much harder to lose one Arty.
Your post has made me feel sad on this Sunday Morning........ A hug is about the best I can do.....
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
It's because hens are the way that they are, almost like pets, that makes it so much harder to lose one Arty.
Your post has made me feel sad on this Sunday Morning........ A hug is about the best I can do.....
Foxy, Thank You for your caring words. I am ok now, it was just so unexpected.

When l first had hens about 14 years ago, l gave them all a name.
Then one morning at 9.45, I had let them out to roam thinking they’d be ok because at that time, l believed foxes only came out at dusk!
I heard a commotion and saw a fox with a hen in its mouth. I screamed at it and it dropped the hen and ran off. The hen was dead, from shock, l suppose? I was very upset.

I decided to give up keeping hens but keeping hens is an addiction! So, I went out and bought more!
At one time l had 16 hens.
I also decided to see it as ‘hen-keeping’ and not get attached to them. Their purpose was to lay eggs for my family, not to sell.
I didn’t give them names, l just referred to them as brown hen, white hen, silly hen, Legbar, Araucana, depending on their breed or colour.
Even saying, l wouldn’t get close to them, you just do! They are funny. One of them, if l bent over, she’d fly onto my back and l didn’t dare move, in case she fell off and was hurt.

I had to do jobs, l’d never thought l could do. Like holding a hen upside down and putting a gloved hand up into her to examine her, as l thought she was egg bound.

One once, was making loud rasping noises like she was near to death. I had to do something, so I opened her mouth and sprayed a puff of my Ventolin asthma spray into her mouth. I also gave her a quarter of an aspirin and she made a miraculous recovery and lived a good many years after!

So, saying you will try to stay detached is fine but in reality you can’t help but love the funny little things. They have personalities and there’s nothing nicer, even therapeutic than sitting watching them and their funny ways and antics!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top