Join for free
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2020, 09:56 AM

Rafah zoo Gaza

One of the most notoriously cruel zoos the Rafah zoo Gaza was closed down in April 2019 . All the animals were rehome to sanctuaries in Jordan .
At the time the charity paid for food and medical attention for the animals so they would be fit to travel.
However it reopened almost immediately with yet more lions and cubs.
In order say some to exhort more money from the charity .

What I want to know is how with the so called restrictions on the Gaza Strip do they manage to import lions and other animals ?

https://www.four-paws.org/our-storie...ah-zoo-in-gaza
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2020, 10:00 AM

Re: Rafah zoo Gaza

Ok it appears they bring them through tunnels .
Poor animals - any animal that ends up in an Arab country .

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...-in-a-gaza-zoo
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2020, 12:12 AM

That's too bad to think about for long, Muddy.

So many beautiful, innocent animals suffer at the hands of man.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2020, 12:59 PM

I think all zoos should be closed and the animals only kept for conservation in their natural habitats or the closest to, not cages or used for entertainment. Can't think who would be visiting a zoo in Gaza though...
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

25-07-2020, 01:11 PM

The gazans who else ?
The Gaza is not all shanties and stone throwers .
It has 5 star hotels and exclusive clubs
It has a vibrant show jumping club that includes girls .
However that is not the face that is given to the world .
The zoo however is horrible it’s a place where people pay to pay with declawed lions and have their photo taken .
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2020, 09:16 PM

I guess I haven't been there because it was forbidden to visit when I was in Israel. I just assumed it was like the west bank only less developed and more depressing. The west bank was pretty much like Jordan only less of a happy place, so Gaza must be a bit like Egypt? Not a place I've visited (Egypt).

Out of interest do they have zoos in Jordan? Even without that I'm sure the poor horses and donkeys and camels get a raw deal. Most of those I saw in Petra looked well looked after but we did a camel ride which I now feel terribly guilty about.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

26-07-2020, 07:03 AM

The animals of Gaza zoo ( when it first closed ) were rehomed in Jordan in sanctuaries .In Jordan there is an awareness of animal cruelty. The Brooke Hospital for horses ( a charity I support ) takes care of the horses In Petra and they also have Spana In Amman that will treat all animals .
The Jordanians have a great love for horses and are proud of their beautiful horses .
I don’t know if Jordan has a zoo
However there is ignorance and cruelty everywhere .
Some people just don’t think of animals as worthy of good treatment
I has a friend who had a beautiful stallion .
She was a great supporterr and indeed married to a Palestinian .
However she sold her horse to the Israelis because she knew they would look after him .
This zoo in Gaza is a private place for the sole purpose of making money .
There is no care for the animals .

Gaza is developed in places it has a coastline on the Mediterranean There are luxury hotels someone must use them
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels...a-Hotels.html.
Arab towns can be fairly depressing places but there are like everywhere upmarket areas and poor areas .

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top