Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 11:02 AM

Re: Life

Originally Posted by susan m ->
But spitty there may be many more to come after this one , and you wont remember anything about this life so it'll all be new again !
Yay...another new adventure,
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by May ->
Yay...another new adventure,
Think I'll opt out of a new adventure May , I need space and quiet times

The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
How fever'd is the man who cannot look upon his mortal days with temperate blood....
Well Keates should have known. Reputed to have been try-sexual and to "have a swan in flight" given half a chance despite claims to the contrary.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
The full version of that poem is the only poem that's ever really had a 'ring' to it that interests me. This used to be recited by a Scottish chap on a television programme, I believe it was something like "Coast" and definitely to do with various coastal areas of Scotland, can't recall the exact name. When recited by this chap with his Scottish accent it was really pleasant to listen to.

Any ideas anyone of the programme or Scottish presenter?

The full version:

What is this life if, full of care,
No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.
No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.
No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.
We have no time to stand and stare.’

Leisure - by William Henry Davies
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
The full version of that poem is the only poem that's ever really had a 'ring' to it that interests me. This used to be recited by a Scottish chap on a television programme, I believe it was something like "Coast" and definitely to do with various coastal areas of Scotland, can't recall the exact name. When recited by this chap with his Scottish accent it was really pleasant to listen to.

Any ideas anyone of the programme or Scottish presenter?

The full version:

What is this life if, full of care,
No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.
No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.
No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.
We have no time to stand and stare.’

Leisure - by William Henry Davies
There is a very rude parody of that!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
There is a very rude parody of that!
I wouldn't know that but for some reason or other I am not surprised that you do!

Just for a minute there I thought you were going to inform me of the title of the
TV programme I cannot recall!
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
May as well try to enjoy it. Don't become a slave to pessimism. Be an optimist. Hand out compliments whenever you can but only whinge and complain when you really are justified in doing so. Otherwise just get on with it. Make the best of your life. The alternative sucks.
I'm finding this harder as time goes by Keezy. I try my best to keep positive then I see what people write, I see people coming out with vile things, I see vile things happening, I hear vile things. I see and hear that no longer are we allowed to have our own mind, speak our own minds without being branded racist or other nasty things.
I see control happening and less and less freedom, I see civil war in the future happening. I see and hear we are no longer allowed to be our own person and we must conform.
I'm feeling more of a robot the longer I live. I'm told the way I think is wrong even though it's the way I have thought all my life. I am one of the most caring, loving, generous and kind people you might wish to meet yet still I'm told if I have an opinion other than the conformists that I am not a good person because of how my own brain thinks.

However, saying all that, I will continue to be the kind, caring, loving and generous person my Mother always taught me to be. I will not allow society today to change who I am, I am my own person.

I am becoming more and more sad, depressed and disillusioned with life the older I become.

On the other hand I still have positives in my life.
I'm in reasonable health
I have a roof over my head and food on my table
Have a husband and family who love me
Have enough money to take holidays (when coronavirus allows)
I have lots of good friends
I have my pets
I am a good upstanding honest citizen
I'm warm and affectionate
I have love and kindness in my heart
I could go on.

It seems there are so many negatives with life but normally the positives can outweigh the negs. I will try keep a positive head on but I'm seriously thinking to only way to get rid of the negatives is to leave social media, stop watching the news and ahould I stop talking to other people because even if you don't watch the news someone else tells you of ugly things that have happened LOL.

As much as I don't like to admit it I was a much happier and carefree person before social media. Is the answer for me to shut down my computer and turn off my TV? Stupid thing is, I'd find that really difficult! Crazy me eh.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Some situations suck the optimist out of you though Keezoy no matter how many positive reserves you have they can be severely depleted when things go belly up.
I am finding as time goes on it becoming a little harder to keep the old chin up !!!!!!!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I'm finding this harder as time goes by Keezy. I try my best to keep positive then I see what people write, I see people coming out with vile things, I see vile things happening, I hear vile things. I see and hear that no longer are we allowed to have our own mind, speak our own minds without being branded racist or other nasty things.
I see control happening and less and less freedom, I see civil war in the future happening. I see and hear we are no longer allowed to be our own person and we must conform.
I'm feeling more of a robot the longer I live. I'm told the way I think is wrong even though it's the way I have thought all my life. I am one of the most caring, loving, generous and kind people you might wish to meet yet still I'm told if I have an opinion other than the conformists that I am not a good person because of how my own brain thinks.

However, saying all that, I will continue to be the kind, caring, loving and generous person my Mother always taught me to be. I will not allow society today to change who I am, I am my own person.

I am becoming more and more sad, depressed and disillusioned with life the older I become.

I'm in reasonable health
I have my pets
I could go on.

It seems there are so many negatives with life but normally the positives can outweigh the negs. I will try keep a positive head on but I'm seriously thinking to only way to get rid of the negatives is to leave social media, stop watching the news and ahould I stop talking to other people because even if you don't watch the news someone else tells you of ugly things that have happened LOL.

As much as I don't like to admit it I was a much happier and carefree person before social media. Is the answer for me to shut down my computer and turn off my TV? Stupid thing is, I'd find that really difficult! Crazy me eh.
I agree with everything you posted, except the money and holidays, you shouldn't and you shouldn't if logic means anything.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->

I'm in reasonable health
I have my pets
I could go on.

It doesn't hurt to take a break from social media now and then LQ.....its like those night terrors if you have ever had them...at the time in the middle of the night there is no solution and my problems seem enormous with no way out...then next morning after finally having a few hours sleep I'm more rational and see things more clearly. I think it can get like that on social media...sometimes I need a little break to recharge my batteries and get things into perspective.

It's easy to say don't let things get to you.....you are like me sometimes they just do. I take charge and take a break....works for me even if only for a few days x

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top