Join for free
Page 297 of 370 « First < 197 247 287 295 296 297 298 299 307 347 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2019, 02:45 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->

Floydy
, I am always impressed with your workouts . Thinking about your (speed, haha ) session two days ago, I was wondering, are you giving yourself enough recovery days between leg sessions? Might have been a factor? All-in-all, it sounds like you blasting away out there. If I could give any advice at all, I never do cardio and any other type of exercise (gym, step aerobics with weights, pushups, sit-ups) at the same time of day. I've found that I am a lot more energized and do better with each when I put a few hours between the two. Have you thought about doing more of your cardio outdoors instead of the gym (power walking, swimming, cycling, stair climbing, etc.)? I think you might find it more interesting and inspiring - and stick with it better. Just think of the day you traversed the bridge!
Hi Suzie.
Yeah I know I do tend to train in fits and starts at the moment but the only reason (apart from making the most of the occasion sunny day sat out in the garden) is that old bugbear of mine: Time. Working nights restricts me and it also means I do need to plan my sessions so I am not to tired for my oncoming shift later that day. That is why I go full whack at the weekends with my training.

I'd love to train outside but the climate here is nothing like yours and I can't simply dive into the surf...and stair climbing outdoors I'm not familiar with tbh.

But I have made a change to my leg training by moving the sled presses to earlier in the week, tagged on at the end of the early upper body routine, which should make it easier and more worthwhile. Having said all that though, I must say (even myself) that I'm in very good shape with my legs and the knee issues are benifitting from the extra work, so it's all quite do-able.

I have also now devised a new template which is fundamentally just a list of all my exercises. This means I can simply select anything I like, including some I haven't done for ages, from the template. There are no set reps or sets. I can do a variety of different methods of training all within one session.
That should free up the anxiety I get trying to fit every routine into a set amount of time.

Thanks very much for your continued appreciation and ideas though. They are always welcomed
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2019, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Sorry I haven't been on for the last few days. Grandkids, family, Bank Holiday, you know the routine. Anyway, I was in the gym on Saturday and did a standard workout, but some machines are missing until new types are delivered in a week or so. Everyone is looking forward to the new stuff, myself included. Oh, best news of the workout is that I did a 15 minute ride on one of the exercise bikes! The knees were great and actually loosened up during the 15 minutes. It was on a low setting of difficulty, but I'm taking it carefully.

Good luck in your exercise routines ladies and gents.
Hi mate.
It's always kind of exciting wondering what new stuff they are going to place around the gym. I remember my my gym changed from Fitness First to JD Gym and there were lots of large cardboard boxes all around the place with ends opened and members looking in trying to see what was inside. It was like Christmas!

Good to see you using the exercise bike, they are always good exercise. Just make sure the seat is at the right height though as you could suffer with a bad lower back if it's too high. I spent many years road racing and all that hunched up riding took its toll in the end, It's only through training specially with certain equipment that my back has got better in the last few years. I had to abandon deadlifts and squats though as they are now not worth the risk doing anymore - still I make it up with the heavy work on the leg machines instead.

Keep up the good work Tachyon, and let us know about these new machines as soon as you get acquainted with them
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2019, 03:51 AM

Hi, Tachyon, big holiday here too, so I understand.

That was most interesting to read about the stationary cycling. I had the same experience. I was a little surprised at how tight my knees were and how they loosened up after while I think it's a good idea to start on a manual setting and have an easy go of it at first. After all, we really don't know how we are doing ... until the next day . Hope you had a fine time with your grandkids!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2019, 03:55 AM

This is short and sweet as it is almost ten in the evening and I have to be up at five to make another pilgrimage to the great medical center to the north. I did get in four miles after a hectic day. My pace wasn't too hot, but I felt strong when running after a series of days in which I had to mentally chastise myself for feeling weak. I sometimes wonder what causes those kind of fluctuations from one day to the next.

Go forth and multipl.... Oh, that's not right. We're past all that.
Go forth and move!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

29-05-2019, 04:02 AM

This is short and sweet as it is almost ten in the evening and I have to be up at five to make another pilgrimage to the great medical center to the north. I did get in four miles after a hectic day. My pace wasn't too hot, but I felt strong when running after a series of days in which I had to mentally chastise myself for feeling weak. I sometimes wonder what causes those kind of fluctuations from one day to the next.

Go forth and multipl.... Oh, that's not right. We're past all that.
Go forth and move!
We get tired mentally, Suzie, with lots on our minds, plus work, home life's essentials to sort, immediate plans.....and it drains us. The body is a strange and complex entity and unless we are feeling chilled and cool with everything, having things on our mind does cause setbacks. Does that make sense?

Wishing you yet another stress free journey hopefully in the morning. Your daughter is such a lucky young lady to deserve a mum as loving as you. Have a good trip, hope all goes well.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

30-05-2019, 05:30 PM

Back on track today. Do you all have deer or yellow flies? They are in abundance this year, and while I am sure they have an importance in the food web, they have decided that I am their number one food source Actually, the females need a protein source for their eggs to develop, but is sure feels like I'm breakfast...

With that in mind, after a full body coat of DEET, I made my way to the trails with the goal of stretching out my aching body from having been folded up like a taco for most of yesterday's drive While seemingly all of the tourists in three states are here, few were to be found - probably off enjoying coffee overlooking the gulf or sleeping off hangovers .

With the insects, searing sun, and all the humidity in the entire gulf coast enveloping me like a hot, wet veil, I slogged my way through a five mile run. Loose as a goose and buzzy from the exhaustion, I'm now sipping iced tea and watching the tourists wander out to the beach weighted down with chairs and umbrellas, ready to bake in the sun and catch up on their summer reading. How I love summer!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2019, 10:13 PM

Sounds like a tough five miler Surfermom, I had quite a hard five miler myself this morning, no flies but fairly high humidity for round here (60%) and a strange warm wind, a check of the thermometer after returning home revealed 20*C at just seven in the morning.....

A drive down to Southampton in the morning which is about two hundred miles.....Nothing like the kind of distance that you cover Surfermom, but still strenuous for and old Yorkshireman....

Pick up the ship on Saturday afternoon and then a week of decadence while gazing at some stunning scenery....Problem is, when I see a mountain I want to climb it.....Bon Voyage for now....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

31-05-2019, 03:50 AM

Have a fabulous time, OGF! We will be looking forward to reports in Bob's Bits. Don't risk those mountains though, it might be just a tad chilly swimming across those fjords from the ship just to get to one!

Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2019, 05:10 PM

Hi, Tachyon, big holiday here too, so I understand.

That was most interesting to read about the stationary cycling. I had the same experience. I was a little surprised at how tight my knees were and how they loosened up after while I think it's a good idea to start on a manual setting and have an easy go of it at first. After all, we really don't know how we are doing ... until the next day . Hope you had a fine time with your grandkids!
I had a lovely time, thanks. Lots of cuddles for grandad, which I love.

I managed 20 minutes on the exercise bike yesterday and could feel that pleasant burn you get when you know you have made muscles work. Funny thing was that I couldn't do my stomach crunches because my thighs protested when I braced my feet under the padded bar and did a crunch. I only managed a couple of sets of 50kg, whereas I usually do five sets of 50kg. That will improve though as I get more leg muscle back.

I'll see how it goes tomorrow. Good luck all!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

31-05-2019, 09:07 PM

Nice work on the bike, Tachyon, and do I ever know that burn. What I wasn't used to when I started back was how winded it made me. It's a whole different way or working those leg muscles, and as we are all finding as we get older is that legs and lungs have a contentious marriage. I don't think that I ever thought about leg work and windedness when I was younger .

I surfed for about thirty minutes this morning before the god of lightning chased me ashore, but that left plenty of time for a little work before running myself ragged later tonight. With the Italy trip coming up, I'm doing my best to knock off some pre-vacation pounds so I can eat gloriously on the trip.

Six miles at sunset-thirty. No I've dun gone and said it, there's nothing to do but....

Go!

Page 297 of 370 « First < 197 247 287 295 296 297 298 299 307 347 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top