Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 10:31 AM

Re: How Much Interest in USA Is There in This World Cup?

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Darn little interest in soccer in the U.S. I don't think I've ever watched more than a few minutes of soccer in my entire life. Too boring.

Over here we like real football.
There is only one football. The one where players use their foot. And is played and loved around the world. I'm well aware many Americans don't like it (for a number of reasons) Particularly the old and the redneck Republican types.

But an increasing number do - including those I mentioned in the opening post. Did you know that when the USA last hosted the World Cup, they had record attendances for a World Cup.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
The interest in this country is MASSIVE. The larrrst game had 32 million watching on TV and radio channels like five live and Talksport had record listening figures as well.

Added together it comes to an enormous number. It's brought the country together. I'm surprised you didn't know this?

Obviously the Jocks, Welsh and Irish are positively depressed about the whole thing. And we should be sympathetic towards them.

Well at least we should try not to larrrf.
That's racist - I'm not a Jock.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 11:00 AM

Soccer in the United States is governed by the United States Soccer Federation. The organization governs most levels of soccer in the country, including the national teams, professional leagues, and the amateur game with the exception of colleges and high schools. As of May 2015, over 24.4 million people play soccer in the United States.[8] In 2017, Gallup reported that soccer was the third-most played team sport in the U.S., behind only basketball and American football.[9] The popularity of the sport in the U.S. has been growing since the 1960s and 1970s, and received a significant boost when the United States hosted the 1994 FIFA World Cup and 1999 FIFA Women's World Cup. It is the fourth most popular sport in the United States behind American football, baseball and basketball, and is the second fastest growing sport in America, surpassed only by lacrosse.[1 Wiki
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
That's racist - I'm not a Jock.
Errrr, well done. That is one consolation I suppose.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 01:00 PM

As it happens I'm supporting England as Scotland, Ireland etc. didn't make it there.
Gravitas
North England

11-07-2018, 01:16 PM

As it happens I'm supporting England as Scotland, Ireland etc. didn't make it there.
Tell us more. Which country do you most identify with? Scotland, Ireland or other?
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

11-07-2018, 01:18 PM

Well, I'm Scottish so obviously that, then I identify more with Ireland than England. Wales and England around the same.

But in tournaments or matches of every sport I always support England (unless they're playing Scotland or Ireland).
Gravitas
North England

11-07-2018, 01:22 PM

Well, I'm Scottish so obviously that, then I identify more with Ireland than England. Wales and England around the same.

But in tournaments or matches of every sport I always support England (unless they're playing Scotland or Ireland).
I bet that doesn't go down too well with the more rabid Jocks up there.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

11-07-2018, 01:29 PM

Again you've used that racist word. And I've reported both posts.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 08:52 PM

The 1994 World Cup was a great success.And it's going back in 2026.
Football or soccer is popular everywhere because you don't have to be seven foot tall or built like a brick outhouse to play it.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top