Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2019, 06:51 PM

You know slugs...

...and snails, why don't they get thinner as they slither about?
They produce all that slime, which much be made from something in their bodies so why do they not get thinner as they move?
Eh?
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2019, 06:54 PM

Re: You know slugs...

Originally Posted by TessA ->
...and snails, why don't they get thinner as they slither about?
They produce all that slime, which much be made from something in their bodies so why do they not get thinner as they move?
Eh?
They make up for all that energy expenditure, , by eating my hostas.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2019, 06:56 PM

Yes, I gave up growing them, little buggers!
But, what if you weighed them on their journey from your hostas to some lettuces, would they lose weight on the way?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2019, 07:00 PM

You worry me sometimes, TessA

I've got one.
Why isn't the chicken the biggest and most powerful things in the animal kingdom? Instead, it's one of the most timid, drama queens of a bird there is.
Think about it - they are almost 100% protein except for the feathers and beak. It should be as strong as an ox!
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2019, 07:01 PM

Yes, I gave up growing them, little buggers!
But, what if you weighed them on their journey from your hostas to some lettuces, would they lose weight on the way?
Yes, because they are using energy in order to move, but you'd need a very, very sensitive set of scales, as it would be a minuscule amount.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2019, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
Yes, because they are using energy in order to move, but you'd need a very, very sensitive set of scales, as it would be a minuscule amount.
Yeah but does it take a lot of energy/calories to produce all that slime?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

07-02-2019, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
You worry me sometimes, TessA

I've got one.
Why isn't the chicken the biggest and most powerful things in the animal kingdom? Instead, it's one of the most timid, drama queens of a bird there is.
Think about it - they are almost 100% protein except for the feathers and beak. It should be as strong as an ox!
I think pheasants could beat them in the stupid stakes!

What if a slug was put on a treadmill?
Pyxell
South of England

07-02-2019, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
Yeah but does it take a lot of energy/calories to produce all that slime?
As well as making slime, they are using a degree of muscular effort as well. The slime just makes it easier for them to move.
Pyxell
South of England

07-02-2019, 07:20 PM

What if a slug was put on a treadmill?

It would probably gum up the works!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

07-02-2019, 07:22 PM

If they're producing and using up slime, they must lose weight, stands to reason.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top