Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 12:53 PM

Re: Spider lunch

Hence spider bites can often go from unnoticed to serious problems ( even amputation or death ) as those juices once in the body keep on working .
I was once in a military hospital for an operation and the guy in the next bed looked about 60 and was having lower leg amputation as his foot was swollen and black looking like a polished boot ..
Chatting to him after his daughter had visited he told me the tale ... that was his wife as he himself was only 30 something and he was the something or another to Spain working for the foreign office ( hence access to military hospital ) and last week was enjoying a picnic with wife and children when a small spider bit his toe ... within days his foot had ballooned and he was flown back here for surgery ... all from a tiny spider bite, you wouldn’t believe how old he looked /injury caused
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 12:56 PM

I'm not reading this thread, someone always posts photos
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I'm not reading this thread, someone always posts photos
You mean like this

https://youtu.be/yKL35ZMI_K8
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 01:14 PM

Your wish

Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 01:19 PM

I wonder what mulched wasp tastes like?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
I wonder what mulched wasp tastes like?
Who shall we nominate to do the tasting Rhian?
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)

09-02-2019, 01:25 PM

When young and stupid ( as opposed to now being old and stupid) we used to raid a wasp nest and get the wasp grubs for fishing bait ... the fish went crazy for them
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Who shall we nominate to do the tasting Rhian?
Gumbud?
They eat critters in Oz don't they?!

Or UJ... provided it was followed with a brandy coffee

I'm afraid I'm not volunteering
I'm a veggie/pescatarian!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Gumbud?
They eat critters in Oz don't they?!

Or UJ... provided it was followed with a brandy coffee

I'm afraid I'm not volunteering
I'm a veggie/pescatarian!
Good choices Rhian, both appear to be adventurous where 'food' is concerned.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
The spider may well have eaten it ( they basically suck the insides out of it leaving the outer skin skeleton )
Flies are worse..... they sort of vomit over whatever it is, usually the food you left out on the worktop, to liquidise it, then suck it up through their tube-like proboscis.

As I child I would let a fly settle on my arm and watch as it wiggled its proboscis up and down.
It's a bit like a sink plunger.
Only smaller.

Maybugs are interesting, because when you pick them up to save them from marauding feet, they grip you with their legs, which have little spiky things to grip with. It doesn't hurt, just feels a bit odd.
You can't pull them off as they grip so tightly. You have to put your hand down somewhere, and let them decide it's time to let go.
Stag beetles are even more fascinating, but they are very rare these days, so I hardly ever get to see one, despite leaving lots of dead wood around in the garden for them to feed on.

They are extinct in some countries.
People are scared of them because of their size and their 'horns' which won't harm you at all. They are there for mating rituals.

Sorry, this post has turned into a bit of an entomological ramble!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top