Join for free
Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2019, 09:36 PM

Re: An interesting item about electric vehicles …

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Assuming you have the capacity to do so.
Most of us do not,.

You don't have electricity! I didn't realise Doncaster was so primitive, no wonder Clarkson left.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2019, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Assuming you have the capacity to do so.
Most of us do not,.
You mean thicker supply cables and circuit breakers
Besoeker?

Regards Donkeyman!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2019, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
You don't have electricity! I didn't realise Doncaster was so primitive, no wonder Clarkson left.
Most domestic supplies are about 60Amp 230V.
Do the arithmetic - if you can.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2019, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
You mean thicker supply cables and circuit breakers
Besoeker?

Regards Donkeyman!
It's just a bit more complicated than that.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2019, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
When I read other items about banning petrol and diesels it really does make me wonder how on earth the country is going to function. The link below to the RAC on this is just one of many, it makes worrying reading when the proposals are only around ten to fifteen years' away:

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/mot...anned-by-2030/
I have long been convinced that our politicians live in Cloud Cuckoo Land, and this appears to confirm it.

So in eleven years electric cars will be compulsory. We shall not be allowed to drive our petrol cars and don't even mention diesel. Charging points will appear every few feet along the sides of all roads where the residents have no drives, and all motorway service stations will boast free electric charging facilities.

Buses and locomotives will all use electricity, of course, and HGVs will each include an additional trailer on the back to contain all the batteries needed to enable them to keep going as far as the next specially-adapted lorry park where they can be recharged overnight. Free accommodation for the drivers provided, of course.

I suppose they are assured that by 2030 we shall have covered our entire land with windmills and solar panels, that the country will have become eternally windy, and that the sun will shine for 24 hours a day with clear skies.

Then, of course, in another five years I fully expect that they will have extended their demands to our relying on electric aircraft too.

Needless to say, India, China and the rest of the world (with the exception of the EU Empire) will continue to use petrol, diesel and other fossil fuels, but at least we can smugly hold up our heads and boast that we are saving the planet.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2019, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I have long been convinced that our politicians live in Cloud Cuckoo Land, and this appears to confirm it.

So in eleven years electric cars will be compulsory. We shall not be allowed to drive our petrol cars and don't even mention diesel. Charging points will appear every few feet along the sides of all roads where the residents have no drives, and all motorway service stations will boast free electric charging facilities.

Buses and locomotives will all use electricity, of course, and HGVs will each include an additional trailer on the back to contain all the batteries needed to enable them to keep going as far as the next specially-adapted lorry park where they can be recharged overnight. Free accommodation for the drivers provided, of course.

I suppose they are assured that by 2030 we shall have covered our entire land with windmills and solar panels, that the country will have become eternally windy, and that the sun will shine for 24 hours a day with clear skies.

Then, of course, in another five years I fully expect that they will have extended their demands to our relying on electric aircraft too.

Needless to say, India, China and the rest of the world (with the exception of the EU Empire) will continue to use petrol, diesel and other fossil fuels, but at least we can smugly hold up our heads and boast that we are saving the planet.
But just think of all the full-time employment that will bring, people will have jobs and earn vast sums of money! However, there will be no time to sleep or do anything else, we will all be so busy seeing that our politicians' Cloud Cuckoo Land dreams come to fruition!

We cannot even build the required number of houses each year so how on earth is all that infrastructure going to materialise?

As for where all the money is going to come from to finance this Cuckoo Land dream I simply have no idea – another pipe dream perhaps! Maybe I was dreaming when I heard Boris Johnson, on television recently, say that our national debt is now running at 85% of GDP?

Item 5 on the link below this text:

"At the end of the financial year ending March 2018, UK government gross debt was £1,763.8 billion (85.3% of GDP)."

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/gover...ent-gross-debt

Although I do believe there is an answer to all this – perhaps we should just hang a sign on the UK "Vacant To Let" and all move out to China or India!

Forgive my obvious sarcastic sense of humour, it's all that keeps me going these days!
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2019, 09:25 AM

Politicians really are screwing the planet up, the last couple of posts sum up the whole chaotic predicament.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2019, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Politicians really are screwing the planet up, the last couple of posts sum up the whole chaotic predicament.
Not entirely the politicians Cindy! The human habit of breeding
excessively, and at the same time believing their wants are
really needs has quite a bit to do with it as well!

Regards Donkeyman!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2019, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Not entirely the politicians Cindy! The human habit of breeding excessively, and at the same time believing their wants are really needs has quite a bit to do with it as well!

Regards Donkeyman!
Yes, I quite agree with your comment. However, both of those things we do have full control of and can do something about, if we wish. The government, it appears, we have no control of whatsoever! They do what they want, when they want and that's obvious to most with what's been happening in recent times I would have thought!
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2019, 10:47 AM

Humans have evolved over time to be the only species that doesn’t adapt to the world, it makes the world adapt to them.

What proposals politicians would come up with to enforce population control. That has to be a global decision to be effective, just as the emissions reduction has to be.

Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top