Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 11:25 PM

Re: Gift Ideas

How about a box of lovely stationery notes, small note pad, and postage stamps? If she doesn't get out much, perhaps she might like to maintain communications with friends, and hopefully they will respond in kind and brighten her day. For an extra treat, a pen with her monogram on it?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 11:45 PM

The trouble with Parkinsons is that you can have visual disturbances. There can be hallucinations and as well as the ability to hold a book still, reading itself might be difficult. Motor skills deteriorate. It's a complex and frustrating condition. Hearing and smell last longest. I do hope they find a cure to this devastating condition.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Best of all would be if you caught a train and paid her a visit.
Totally agree.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
The trouble with Parkinsons is that you can have visual disturbances. There can be hallucinations and as well as the ability to hold a book still, reading itself might be difficult. Motor skills deteriorate. It's a complex and frustrating condition. Hearing and smell last longest. I do hope they find a cure to this devastating condition.

Maybe if the lady is like that Annie, she will have one of those stands to rest books in front of her? Who knows.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 12:17 AM

Before we moved, I used to visit a very disabled lady. The introduction was by chance. I walked by the house and noticed that the outside light was on in the daytime. I thought I ought to let the resident know. It took a while for the door to be opened. It was electrically operated and she needed a remote to do that.

She invited us in, us being me and my big dog. She wanted company. Max and she just got along famously. He would trot in and gently pat her knee then sat down beside her wheel chair. Our visits seemed to lift her mood.

In short, I think a visit to your friend would be the best gift you could give.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 12:21 AM

Hopefully there will be someone who can read to her. The previous OHs dad had it. Speech, eyesight, movement all affected. He died from the complications.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 07:40 AM

Thanks for all the ideas, I do like the subscription idea but I need to email her daughter to find what mags she likes. A stationery stamps and pen idea wouldn't work as she has trouble writing now. Also, I don't think she could sit still in a theatre either, and would get very stressed at disturbing other people. Will see if I can find a photo of us for a cushion though, that would make her smile.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by eccles ->

Will see if I can find a photo of us for a cushion though, that would make her smile.
Look on Google for 'personalised cushions' A photo of a pet or a person is very popular - or even no photo but an inscription marking the ocassion & the persons name/date.

I had one done for a friend when she was 60.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
OK, here's my problem. I have a dear friend who will be 70 in a couple of months time. I've not seen her for some years as she lives in another part of the country. She's got Parkinsons and is wheelchair bound although she lives at home with carers coming and going. I want to buy her something special for her 70th, something easily posted preferably. I've tried bath robes (wrong size), wax hats so she needn't struggle with brollies (wrong size), confectionery that I know she loves, various things for her home and I've contacted her daughter (who's no help at all).

Flowers always seem a lazy option to me. Anyone got any original ideas? Thanks in advance.
Maybe giving a donation to the Parkinson's charity might be an idea if you have no idea what to get the woman.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Look on Google for 'personalised cushions' A photo of a pet or a person is very popular - or even no photo but an inscription marking the ocassion & the persons name/date.

I had one done for a friend when she was 60.
What a lovely idea - I had never heard of those - thank you, Carol.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top